Cold Fermentation vs. Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poguemahone

Reaction score
I'm doing an Optimator style mini mash tomorrow with ingredients and recipe (OG of 1.079 German Lager #00025 starter) from the amazing people at AHBS.

This is only my 3rd batch since I (re)started brewing and the first that I've come across that includes cold fermentation. I actually have room in my kegerator to store my 6.5 gallon carboy but is this really necessary or will utilizing the secondary provide the same results?

You're brewing a lager, so cooler fermentation temperatures are definitely in order. Your kegerator may be a tad too cold unless you adjust the thermostat up a bit. Do a search in this forum (or just Google) for lager. That should clear up any confusion.

BTW, I like the user name - great album. I don't worship Shane MacGowan like some around here...but I do like the album.

Lager yeasts are not even the same species as ale yeasts. They have to ferment cool or you get very odd results.

Back