Cold crashing under pressure in a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimJohansen

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'd like to begin using Co2 when cold crashing in order to avoid "suckback". I use SS Brew Tech Chronicals.

How do you guys do it? Do you leave the Co2 on or just give it a 3 PSI pressure at the beginning that will last for the entire cold crash?

/Kim

How are you cold crashing? Do you have a glycol setup or a cold room or something? I don't see you moving a conical into a fridge.

I see you have a jacket on your conicals so I assume you're using some sort of glycol setup. I've always just left the blowoff tube on the fermentor and put a cup of sanitizer in the fridge with the tube in it. It never has enough of a suck to pull the sanitizer up against gravity to get it in the beer. Even if it did it's only maybe a tablespoon of sanitizer in the beer which isn't a big deal.
I only cold crash for 24 hours though so I don't ever get the suckback issue. In only 5-6 gallons of beer what doesn't settle out doesn't add up to very much and usually comes out in the first pour.

Yes, I use glycol chilling. My experience is to much of a suck back, so I need a solution to avoid that. Will hook up the co2 today and see what happens when I cold crash.

I hooked up the Co2 and gave it a 2 PSI pressure. Then I took it off and set the thermostat to 30F. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

IMG_20170308_100348.jpg

Any updates on the experiment? I have a ss Brewtech chronical and a brewjacket immersion chiller setup. Have a Pliney in there now and am wondering how to cold crash without suck back.

Worked like a charm. Had to reattach the Co2 a couple of times to keep the pressure up, but that was no problem.

I hooked up the Co2 and gave it a 2 PSI pressure. Then I took it off and set the thermostat to 30F. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

View attachment 391841
Where did you get that pressure gauge/co2 injector valve? Do you still use this method when cold crashing? I have an ss brewtech chronical as well and am looking to achieve the same goal as you original post.

I do the same as you, I just hook up my co2 and when the pressure drops below 4/5 psi it will kick itself back on. This works perfectly to avoid oxidation especially if you plan on a full closed transfer system

Back