Cold Crashing, kegging and temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

car421

Reaction score
I've had an American Pale Ale cold crashing since Saturday at ~38 deg. I only have 1 temp controlled chamber. I want to keg it tonight and then brew again tomorrow so I would have to raise the temp of the keg to 60 while my other brew ferments in the chamber.

Will this cause any off-flavors or issues? I figure it would be no different than cold crashing, bottling and then letting the bottles sit a 70 for 3 weeks. Is this a bad asumption?

No, it's not a bad assumption. It will be fine. One small thing... if you're going to force carb it, do so immediately after you rack to the keg as the beer will absorb the CO2 into solution at lower temps.... so... if you can keg it at a low temp, force carb it and then keep it refridgerated (maybe a kegerator or just a fridge), it'll be carbed much quicker.

What you are planning won't hurt it. Just be sure to fully purge the air out of the keg like you normally would.

If you're using the same unit to ferment and serve from, how do you plan to keep your kegged beer at service temp?

What you are planning won't hurt it. Just be sure to fully purge the air out of the keg like you normally would.

If you're using the same unit to ferment and serve from, how do you plan to keep your kegged beer at service temp?

I have a johnson controller on the refrig. once kegged and purged I will raise the temp to fermentation levels with the keg next to it. Once that brew is done I will rack to a second keg, drop temp, force carb and enjoy.

Back