Cold crashing and priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
My recipe calls for 5oz of priming sugar at bottling, but I would like to cold crash my beer for a couple days right before bottling. Not sure what temp I'll aim for, but I'm thinking 40-45F. It's been fermenting at 64-68F. Should I reduce the amount of priming sugar I was planning on using?

The amount of sugar you need to reach the carbonation volume level you want, is based on the temp that the beer will be carbonating at, not the temp on bottling day. So assuming you will store the bottles at room temp until they carbonate, I would say stick with the 5 oz.

The amount of sugar you need to reach the carbonation volume level you want, is based on the temp that the beer will be carbonating at, not the temp on bottling day. So assuming you will store the bottles at room temp until they carbonate, I would say stick with the 5 oz.

I believe it is based on the temp during fermentation The reason temperature comes into play is more CO2 stays in solution the colder the beer is.

To answer the OP, you would need to increase/decrease it based on what temp you fermented at. There are tons of free priming sugar calculators on the web. Just be sure to use one that takes temp into account.

Temperature considerations for priming sugar additions should be based on the highest temperature the beer was at from the end of primary fermentation on. It is true that colder liquid can hold more CO2 but the residual CO2 being taken into consideration here is that which was produced during fermentation.

So, for instance, if fermentation ended at 65F, I raise the temp to 90, and then cold crash to 35 before bottling, the temperature I should use to calculate residual carbonation would be 90F. Raising the temperature after fermentation would have released a good bit of the CO2 from solution and cold crashing down to 35 isn't going to cause it to absorb any more from the air in the bucket or carboy. That would only be the case if there was still active fermentation producing CO2 in the beer or if it were under forced CO2 pressure in a keg.

Latest posts

Back