cold crashing and carbing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock79

Reaction score
I have an IPA that I am planning on cold crashing before bottling and I have a noob question.

When I run the numbers in my priming calculator when it asks me the fermentation temp do I put in 70 degrees the temp it sat in the primary, or do I put the temp I cold crashed it at, say like 38 or so?!!

Thanks!!

I have an IPA that I am planning on cold crashing before bottling and I have a noob question.

When I run the numbers in my priming calculator when it asks me the fermentation temp do I put in 70 degrees the temp it sat in the primary, or do I put the temp I cold crashed it at, say like 38 or so?!!

Thanks!!

This particular question got a bit heated a while back. You may read and judge for yourself here, but I believe that the consensus is on the side of priming to 70 degrees. The correct answer is actually probably something between 38 and 70, but much closer to 70 than 38. Or, you could always just let the thing warm back up if you don't like controversy :D

Geez, that is quite the debate!!

I am almost scared to try it now!!

I am just curious to see the outcome of a cold crash..

THanks,
MalFet :)

:) FWIW, I don't cold crash much, but I have always bottled to 70F (or whatever my peak fermentation temp was) and have found it to work well.

Awesome thanks for your input!!!

I will probably skip the cold crash and in the future use the whirlfloc during the boil and try to reduce the sediment I dump into my primary etc...

i'm not trying to be the expert or horn in on the debate, but the way i would do it is to prime based on the temp the beer is when you add the co2 or sugar. after all, if you put the keg in the fridge overnight, then put it on the co2, do you want it to jet up to 30 psi @ 38 degrees? i'd put it on 12 psi, but that's just me. seems to me natural vs forced co2

lumpher said:
i'm not trying to be the expert or horn in on the debate, but the way i would do it is to prime based on the temp the beer is when you add the co2 or sugar. after all, if you put the keg in the fridge overnight, then put it on the co2, do you want it to jet up to 30 psi @ 38 degrees? i'd put it on 12 psi, but that's just me. seems to me natural vs forced co2

:) uh oh, here it comes!

Have you read the thread I pointed to in my first post? I'm certainly no expert either, but it's a lot more complicated than that.

You aren't going to have CO2 magically come out of nowhere and re-enter solution just because it's cold all of the sudden; and if it's finished fermenting you won't have that much new CO2 development at all.

Prime to temp it was at during fermentation.

Latest posts

Back