Cold crashing and bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carter1932

#burp
Reaction score
So I'm about done cold crashing an IPA of some low flocculating yeast and I'm wondering if enough yeast will remain in solution for effective bottle carbonation?

Is it ok as is, should I warm it some before bottling, should I pitch some yeast?
I do have the option to keg, but generally I like to bottle and keg 1/2 of my 10 gallon batches.

What do you think?

I would add 1/3 of a pack of dry yeast to your priming solution after it's cooled...just to be safe. The type of yeast doesn't matter either since you won't taste it.

I've cold crashed and bottled several times. It will carb just take more than the normal 3 weeks. Just keep the bottles warm and give them a little gentle swirl after about a week.

My last four batches (2 batches of kolsch, an Oktoberfest ale and a hefeweizen) were all cold crashed to 39 degrees. Some spent as much as three weeks there. I bottled with no bottling yeast and the beer carbed up just fine. On the other hand, I don't bother with a secondary, so if you're racking to secondary, then cold crashing, your results may be different.

Thanks for the input.

I'm in a bit of hurry to get my bottles carbonated so I can enter it in the state fair late August. So, I've decided to keg the 5 gallons that I cold crashed, and bottle the 5 gallons that is still sitting in my cellar @ 72˚.

Both are in secondary, which I ordinarily would not do but because I used a low flocculating yeast and dry hopped in primary I decided to secondary to help clarify the beer.

When bottling cold, do you normally need more or less priming sugar? I would think more due to the subdued yeast, but in BeerSmith when you lower the bottling temp it lowers the amount of priming sugar needed. I trust BeerSmith but wanted to see what you all thought.

Back