Cold crashing/acid reduction question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastluvr

Reaction score
I have a white grape wine 3 months in the carboy. I tested the acid content which says it's around .080. My question is, how much do people find the acid levels drop when they cold crash wines. I know they say it will reduce the tartaric acid, I'm just wondering how much I could expect it to drop. I also backsweetened about a month ago to bring it from a .988 to around a 1.00. if that matters.

I have a white grape wine 3 months in the carboy. I tested the acid content which says it's around .080. My question is, how much do people find the acid levels drop when they cold crash wines. I know they say it will reduce the tartaric acid, I'm just wondering how much I could expect it to drop. I also backsweetened about a month ago to bring it from a .988 to around a 1.00. if that matters.

I've never stabilized and sweetened before doing a cold stabilization, but much of the excess tartaric acid should precipitate out as wine diamonds with cold stabilization. I'm not sure exactly how much, but it can be quite significant.

yeastluvr said:

I stabilized a batch last year that started out at 1.2. I didn't measure afterwards, but it was in drinkable range.

So if you don't want an acid reduction you shouldn't cold crash? Or is there some other reason to do it and then adjust the acid level later?

So if you don't want an acid reduction you shouldn't cold crash? Or is there some other reason to do it and then adjust the acid level later?

Absolutely, you should cold stabilize. That will make a big reduction in the level of tartaric acid, as it will precipitate out as wine diamonds. In addition, an MLF can be done if the malic acid level is high.

I'm trying to avoid the wine diamonds by cold crashing in the carboy so I can remove them of course. I just am wondering if it can, or people have found it to, remove too much acid. I want to have a good balance and not end up with a flabby wine.

I'm trying to avoid the wine diamonds by cold crashing in the carboy so I can remove them of course. I just am wondering if it can, or people have found it to, remove too much acid. I want to have a good balance and not end up with a flabby wine.

I'd like to know more of the chemistry behind all this. I imagine tartaric acid has differing levels of solubility depending whats in the wine. Am I way of base here? Is it similar to alpha acids ability to disolve in boiling wort depending on the gravity?

anyway, this link touches on temps and claims too much cold stabilization can strip flavors.
http://www.jordanwinery.com/files/FlexibleFile/289/Wine_Tartrates_FAQ.pdf

Carboxy Methyl Cellulose. Google it and consider it. Saves tons in time and guesswork. Used in Europe for years and now approved for use in the US. A very nice alternative to traditional cold stabilization.

I think there is a bit of natural balance involved. If the wine is very acidic there will be a tendency for the tartrate crystals to form and reduce the acidity, even at higher temperatures. If the acidity is already low you won't get so many crystals forming.It is purely a cosmetic concern so if you are happy with the acidity you don't need to cold stabilise. One thing I know is you never get deposits in the bottom of a cheap bottle of wine. If you like good wine then crystals or tannin deposits are a good sign.

Latest posts

Back