Cold Crashed IPA Too Early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbeh

Reaction score
I was pulling my IPA out of the fridge after a 48 hour cold crash and when I pulled up my app I realized it's only been 13 days since Brew Day. I messed up by a week! I was aiming for a 3 week primary.

Gravity was constant for 3 days, I dry hopped on day 7, cold crashed on day 10 to day 12 and pulled it out for a day to warm up.

My question is, do I bottle? Or leave it for a week? There are 3oz of Citra dry hop and I fear leaving it for another week will mellow out my aroma. I have done 2 week ferms and they aren't bad but the whole point of this batch was a three week all in primary.

What is everyones thoughts?
Thanks,
Robb

Bottle her up. If you've already put in your dry hops, you don't want to let them sit in there for more than a week really. If the beer is down as far as the yeast will take it, there is no point in letting it bulk condition any longer. IPAs are best fresh (albeit with some condition), but if they do need more time, they can condition in the bottle. Either way, I would get them off of the trub and away from the dry hop matter.

10 days is plenty if you pitched enough healthy yeast and fermented at the right temperature.

RDWHAHB

Ok I am going to bottle then. I pitched half my yeast from the LHBS who told me they are good for 15 Gal batches. I only made a 5, re-hydrated and pitched at 20C.

Thanks everyone, you put my mind at ease.

It’s very easy to do a forced test for diacetyl which would be really the only reason to keep it at a warmer temp for longer.

Take a sample, heat it to 140 for 10, cool and smell. If it doesn’t taste/smell like butter it’s ready to cool and package.

Latest posts

Back