Cold crash prior to pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIce

Reaction score
Just spitballing here. I read here and there about people being able to pitch into "clear" wort after cooling. I can usually cool a 5G batch to pitching temps in under 12-15 min with a combination of IC and ice bath, but my wort has never been anything closely resembling what it looks like post-fermentation.

I was wondering if anyone had attempted to cold crash in the boil kettle, then rack off that, warm to pitching temp and pitch.

Hmmm...my thought was maybe I could get more break to settle out since I tend to churn it all up during cooling agitation (10-15 min). I get the hops settled out, but not much break with a post-cooling whirlpool.

I use basic methods to keep excess trub out of the fermenter, but I don't worry about getting "clear" wort in there.

I'll never forget the first trial batch I ran through my newly-built E-BIAB system. A Vienna/Amarillo SMASH that looked every bit like tan mud going into the bucket. After fermentation and cold crash, what siphoned into the keg was wonderfully clear. Yummy beer that one.

You just have to let the wort sit for some hours to get clear wort into the fermentor. There's no need to cold crash. Cold crashing helps after fermentation because yeast are tiny cells, and doesn't fall to the bottom as fast as big chunks of protein and such (if you had a good hot and cold break) in the kettle.

I drain wort which is extremely clear, but after fermentation the beer is hazy.

I go for clear wort into the fermentor because it's easier to harvest yeast without all the break material if I don't top-crop that particular batch.

Back