Cold Crash/Dry Hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhelanKA7

Relax? RELAX?!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to putting my barleywine through a cold crash, weather permitting, in about two weeks and I am also wanting to dry hop it. Would it defeat the purpose of dry hopping if I threw in the hops in the middle of lagering? I know that I usually dry hop at room temperature and then cold crash/lager to drop the hops out of suspension.

From what I've read, which is a fair amount, it'll take much longer to extract the flavor/aroma goodness and it won't be as vibrant in the end. Why not drop them in 5-7 days before you begin cold crashing?

From what I've read, which is a fair amount, it'll take much longer to extract the flavor/aroma goodness and it won't be as vibrant in the end. Why not drop them in 5-7 days before you begin cold crashing?

This is what I do...dry hop for at least a few days then drop the temp. It works well, both for the dry hopping and for the clarity

Back