Cold Crash BEFORE Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I brewed a Rye Pale Ale on 6/22 and cold crashed it for 3 days this week in anticipation to bottle, but I forgot to dry hop. So I warmed it up to 68 and dry hopped for 24+ hrs with 1 oz of Summit pellets(out of cascade). I cold crashed w/o an airlock and just used a bung to avoid any water getting sucked back into the beer. When I dry hopped, I didn't think to change out the bung with a stopper and airlock.

When I go to take a sample, the bung comes off and there was a good bit of pressure. I know adding hops can produce pressure, but it slipped my mind to put an airlock on there. Anyhow, when all that pressure released I got a pretty thick foam on the top of my beer with bubbles galore. I am not worried about oxidizing it or worried about anything really. I was just passing this along to see if anyone else has had this experience or made this mistake.

I just stuck an airlock on it and I will cold crash it again. There is way too much sediment in this beer to bottle. I guess this is what happens when you cold crash BEFORE you dry hop. :smack:\

Edit: I went back and took the airlock off. I replaced it with some sanitized foil this time, which is what I should have done to begin with. I don't think I will have any ill effects from this mishap. The sample tasted great, there are just too many hop floaties and residue.

Back