Cold crash a hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Is there any point to cold crash a hefe, or is doing so sorta contrary to the cloudy wheat beer thing?

I wouldn't. The cloudiness is partially from protein (from the wheat malt) but primarily from the yeast. Most people go out of their way to keep their hefes cloudy.

If you want a cleaner Hefe, you should consider Wyeast 3333. My beers come out cleaner with that yeast.

If you want a cleaner Hefe, you should consider Wyeast 3333. My beers come out cleaner with that yeast.

You're making a Kristallweizen at that point - same types of banana, clove, etc. esters but good flocculation, so you don't get the yeastiness in the finished product. Kind of strange at first since I generally associate those flavors with the cloudiness...

Opinions will vary. I would still cold crash it, and then just rack some yeast out with the beer to give the desired turbidity.

I bottle condition and cold crash. Bottle conditioning will result in plenty of yeast in the bottle and the beer will still be hazy even after a 2-4 day cold crash (at least when I use WLP300 or 3068). The times I didn't cold crash I wound up with way too much sediment in the bottles which made for a thick, murky beer rather than an appropriately hazy beer. YMMV.

Well, it got two days of somewhat cold (50F), then I turned the temp back up to 68F after reading the initial replies. The beer is 64F, at present. Used the Danstar Munich dry yeast.

Bottled it tonight. Looks pretty clear for a hefe...

Attenuation is a bit less than I expected as well, only 69%.

Back