Cold Condtioning Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I have a Kolsch that is done fermenting (day 10). I want to cold-condition for a month or so like many/most do with a Kolsch. I have read many posts that people say they have cold conditioned for various amounts of time and at various temperatures I would like to be drinking this sooner rather than later (of course) so I am looking at the best combination of temp. and time that will be best. Anyone have any experience or opinion on length and temp of conditioning? I am especially looking for the temp. as most people report how long the condition but not temp.

mine conditioned 8 weeks at 42. But then I have a buddy of mine who did the exact same recipe, and he only did a 6 week condition. it turned out great also.

I have a Kolsch that I kegged on 3/7/07 after fermenting in a primary for 14 days and crash cooled for 7 days. It's been in cold storage since then. I'm guessing it's ready to tap now. I hope so, cause I have a vacancy in my kegerator.

EdWort said:
I have a Kolsch that I kegged on 3/7/07 after fermenting in a primary for 14 days and crash cooled for 7 days. It's been in cold storage since then. I'm guessing it's ready to tap now. I hope so, cause I have a vacancy in my kegerator.

What temp?

I guess I am not too worried about how long, it tasted fit to drink last night when I had the hydrometer left-overs. Well, it needs to clear but that is secondary to taste.

Thanks guys.

It chilled to around 39 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I'll move it to the kegerator today when I get home from work. It will go crystal clear in a couple days of just sitting there after I pull the initial 8 oz from the tap. I'm looking forward to giving it a try as I have 3 more bottles of the yeast still in storage ready for another batch.

Yeast.jpg

So what is the point of cold conditioning? Remove any sulfur that was produced during the fermentation, anything else?

I tasted mine, it has been at ~42 for almost 3 weeks, and it taste great, my best beer so far. I will probably let it go for a week more, at least. Is there any reason to go much past that?

Also, after 4+ weeks at 42, do I need to worry about there not being enough yeast around for carbing? (I used WLP029; med flocculating)

Beerrific said:
I tasted mine, it has been at ~42 for almost 3 weeks, and it taste great, my best beer so far. I will probably let it go for a week more, at least. Is there any reason to go much past that?

Also, after 4+ weeks at 42, do I need to worry about there not being enough yeast around for carbing? (I used WLP029; med flocculating)
Don't wory about too little yeast. Kolsch is an extremely low flocculator (is extremely slow in sinking to the bottom).

This is the reason for long conditioning at cold temps. The colder temps hasten the yeast falling out and the beer clearing. I cool conditioned mine at 47 degrees for three weeks and it was clear and perfect.

I placed the secondary in the kegerator for 3 days before transfered it over to a keg and than i Let it sit at 37 degrees for 3 weeks and it was clear and tasted great... There was hardly any sediment on the bottom of the keg when it was done.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people have had good luck with 3 weeks. I just wasn't sure since many people have cold conditioned for months. Mine tastes great at 3, but will probably go 4 weeks...until I need the carboy for something else.

Back