Cold Condition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Should i cold condition my california common? It has been bottled right at two weeks and it was rec'd in my other thread as a way to clear the brew and mellow the hops as right now it is extremely hoppy. I made this thread since it was a seperate subject and the other thread didn't into much detail.. Most of the other threads that i found thru search didnt really answer the questions i had.

How long should I wait if i do cold condition after bottling. I imagine i would want to wait at least 2 weeks if not 3 as to not stall the carb phase and to let the yeast clear itself out a little.

Since this is a lager yeast brewed at ale temperture how long should i cold condition for and at what temperture?

Any other tips or general suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If it is already bottled, I would wait until it carbed, and then put them all in the fridge and dont touch them for at least two weeks. But that is me. You could definitely get by letting them carb, putting them in the fridge and drinking them when they are cold.

If it is already bottled, I would wait until it carbed, and then put them all in the fridge and dont touch them for at least two weeks. But that is me. You could definitely get by letting them carb, putting them in the fridge and drinking them when they are cold.

It is carbed really nicely right now. We tried one last night and that was were my concern was coming from is the strong taste (still green) but it was rec'd that I cold condition it and i couldnt really find any solid info about that process. I guess i assumed cold conditioning would be at cooler tempertures than just say your standard fridge to knock the stuff out of suspension and give it a cleaner look.

Well it depends on how cold you keep your fridge, but I do my cold conditioning around 38 degrees, so you should be fine in a fridge.

Next time, do it before you bottle though.

Let them go a couple more weeks at room temp to condition out any off flavors..you'll want the yeasties active to work on you beer, after you get the taste you like THN chill it down to get the yeast to floculate out...but leave it a the temp it's been contidioning and carbing at for the flavors to mellow first.

Well it depends on how cold you keep your fridge, but I do my cold conditioning around 38 degrees, so you should be fine in a fridge.

Next time, do it before you bottle though.

yeah. that is the way most of the threads desribed it. I have a temp control gauge so i can drop it down to that level using the freezerator. How long should i keep it at the temp, a week or two? Then just put it in the fridge for normal serving temps?

Let them go a couple more weeks at room temp to condition out any off flavors..you'll want the yeasties active to work on you beer, after you get the taste you like THN chill it down to get the yeast to floculate out...but leave it a the temp it's been contidioning and carbing at for the flavors to mellow first.

Cool. pretty much exactly what i was wondering. I will keep in the bottle till the greeness is gone then crash cool at cubbies rec'd temp. Thanks for the help.

A week at least, but as long as you can. Your beer will still condition at that temp. As Revvy metioned though, you may want to keep it at fermentation temps a while longer. It all depends on how long it was in primary/secondary. Green flavors will certainly condition out in the cold though.

A week at least, but as long as you can. Your beer will still condition at that temp. As Revvy metioned though, you may want to keep it at fermentation temps a while longer. It all depends on how long it was in primary/secondary. Green flavors will certainly condition out in the cold though.

We only used a primary. It was in there for 3.5 almost 4 weeks. So we are at about 5.5 weeks total since brew day. I figure i will go ahead and just wait the normal 3 weeks for bottle conditioning and then give it a week or two in the colder temps. Luckily, we still have half a batch of our IPA left so I am not in to much of a hurry.

Sounds like a plan. That is plenty of time for the yeast to clean up their by products. If the carb is already where you like it, I dont see any reason to keep them at room temp. Start the cold conditioning now and you will have a nice clear, conditioned beer in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like a plan. That is plenty of time for the yeast to clean up their by products. If the carb is already where you like it, I dont see any reason to keep them at room temp. Start the cold conditioning now and you will have a nice clear, conditioned beer in a couple of weeks.

The carb level was fantastic. Will do. I will confer with my team lol (3 roomates) and see how they want to proceed. Thanks for the help once again. This forum and its users have been invaluable over the last 5 months.

Back