cold co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrowsNest

Reaction score
Are there any problems with keeping co2 outside of the kegerator? I know gas reacts differently at different temps, but that's all I know.

That's how I do it. I have a 20 lb tank so pitting it inside is just silly for me. One advantage: your high pressure gauge actually works.

That's how I do it. I have a 20 lb tank so pitting it inside is just silly for me. One advantage: your high pressure gauge actually works.

Negative. The high pressure gauge works regardless of the temperature. You just need to refer to the proper chart to show what pressure it should read for the temperature at which the CO2 is stored.

Ace_Club said:
Negative. The high pressure gauge works regardless of the temperature. You just need to refer to the proper chart to show what pressure it should read for the temperature at which the CO2 is stored.

Not true. If you have your tank in the fridge your high pressure gauge is pretty useless. You are talking about your low pressure guage.

Not true. If you have your tank in the fridge your high pressure gauge is pretty useless. You are talking about your low pressure guage.

Nope, talking about the high pressure gauge. The temperature will not affect it's ability to read the pressure of the CO2.

See this chart:

CO2_liquid_gas_chart.gif

Regardless of temperature, the high pressure gauge will read constant until there is no more liquid CO2 in the tank, then it will decrease to zero as it is used up.

Ace_Club said:
Nope, talking about the high pressure gauge. The temperature will not affect it's ability to read the pressure of the CO2.

See this chart:

Regardless of temperature, the high pressure gauge will read constant until there is no more liquid CO2 in the tank, then it will decrease to zero as it is used up.

Mine will fluctuate with the ambient temp. If it is really hot in my brewhouse, the tank pressure reads higher. My gauge also drops some what gradually as gas is used up. Now everyone who I know who have theirs in the fridge says it reads full until they are completely out. Drops right to zero.

Mine will fluctuate with the ambient temp. If it is really hot in my brewhouse, the tank pressure reads higher. My gauge also drops some what gradually as gas is used up. Now everyone who I know who have theirs in the fridge says it reads full until they are completely out. Drops right to zero.

Exactly. If it is in the fridge, it is at a constant temperature, therefore a constant pressure until the liquid CO2 is used up.

If it is outside the fridge, the pressure will correlate to the ambient temp, which can fluctuate. Then, it will drop once the liquid CO2 is used up.

Regardless of location, it acts according to the same principles.

It will not drop as you use CO2 if there is liquid CO2 present, only if the liquid CO2 has completely changed to gas.

exactly. If it is in the fridge, it is at a constant temperature, therefore a constant pressure until the liquid co2 is used up.

If it is outside the fridge, the pressure will correlate to the ambient temp, which can fluctuate. Then, it will drop once the liquid co2 is used up.

It will not drop as you use co2 if there is liquid co2 present, only if the liquid co2 has completely changed to gas.

+1

Ace_Club said:
Exactly. If it is in the fridge, it is at a constant temperature, therefore a constant pressure until the liquid CO2 is used up.

If it is outside the fridge, the pressure will correlate to the ambient temp, which can fluctuate. Then, it will drop once the liquid CO2 is used up.

It will not drop as you use CO2 if there is liquid CO2 present, only if the liquid CO2 has completely changed to gas.

I agree. I think we are talking about the same thing. Sorry, too many Bells tonight!

When I put mine in the keezer, the guage drops down almost half way after it chills.

Latest posts

Back