Cold Break Inclusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspera

Reaction score
I recently made a beer recipe that called for a large amount of both adjunct and hops. I sent the sparge (batch) through quickly and had an incredibly large cold break when I chilled the beer down. I couldn't bear to though away even a tiny bit of this very clear beer and sent the hop rich cold break to the primary (deliberately). Will this affect the flavor? I don't think that the yeast needed all that protein and wonder it my beer will be excessively bitter now.

Should I have left all of the cold break behind (precipitated at about 65 F)

You'll be fine...lots of us routinely dump or pump everything into the fermenter and end up with wonderful beer. I use a hop bag, but nearly all the break material ends up in my carboys. Sometimes there is a good 4-5 inches of fluffy white break at the bottom, but it quickly settles and by the time fermentation is complete it has compacted down to a 1/4" layer.

Back