Cold Brake in extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My long awaited first extract + grain kit arrived and I'm brewing it today. I'm confused because the instructions that came from AHB say to chill the wort in a ice-water bath to get it below 80, then 'pour' it in to the primary fermenter.

Won't I need to whirlpool the wort, and siphon from the edge of the pot to avoid getting the hot break material in the fermenter? Or do extract kits not produce this cold brake material?

Thanks

Very little if any cold break from extract. And besides....cold break is good for yeast.

Well, the instructions they give you are good and basic. We just gave you better instructions! :D

Even when I did extracts, I cooled and then poured through a sanitized strainer. Your technique is fine, and that will work. Still, satyr is right- there won't be that much hot break in there anyway and cold break is good yeast food. Still, you'll have some hops sludge and stuff in there. Whirlpool and/or strain if you want- that will give you less "gunk" in the fermenter.

+ 1 on the other two posts, also, If you get anything in your primary it doesn't really matter you wont get it after it drops out and you rack to secondary.

Thanks for the advise all!

I chilled it in an ice/water bath until it was below 80° F, Then tried stirring it until I had a good deep low spot in the middle, then covered and let it settle. By the time it stopped moving, it was a full of debris as ever, so I just gave up on that, and pured it into the fermenter hops and all.

I'll do more research on the whirl pooling later. I'm sure I goofed up the process some how.

Back