col crash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
Have an AG in primary carboy now for 3 weeks - by SG has been done. Do plan on kegging into kegerator/fridge with system. Do I gain anythng but duplicate work if I rack it into secondary carboy/crash temp in fridge/and then go into kegs or should I just go right to kegs and carb?? thanks, doc

Depends on how good your racking technique is... I'm not very good at leaving everything in the primary when I rack so I usually rack to a secondary and than cold crash the beer. Alot of people just cold crash the primary and if your careful that works great. The main reason I cold crash at all is because you want to get most of the yeast and sediment out of the beer before you keg it. When it's in the keg in you fridge...it's cold crashing while conditioning. All the gunk will fall out in your keg and your first couple pours will be.....well...yucky from all the stuff sitting near your pick-up tube. By cold crashing your doing this before it gets in the keg. The result....clear beer. Some stuff will still fall out in the keg but very little. That's what I do....others will do different...to each his own....

Back