Coke/Pepsi bag in box sources?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a question I have I am new to this but I had an idea... I was thinking about buying a 5 gallon box of the syrup and then could I use that when I use my Soda Stream instead of buying there bottles? And if I could use it how could I get the syrup out of the box??

Here is a question I have I am new to this but I had an idea... I was thinking about buying a 5 gallon box of the syrup and then could I use that when I use my Soda Stream instead of buying there bottles? And if I could use it how could I get the syrup out of the box??

I've thought of that too. It wouldn't be hard to add a valve to the box to get syrup out of it. You can find the connector online that screws to the syrup bag. Then add a piece of hose with a little valve on the end to open and close the flow of syrup.

Yeah I have seen a couple sites that have the "BIB Tapping System". Really all it you need is the right bib connector a bit of tubing and a picnic tap. Just connect it like you would for a corney keg but keep the tubing short and you have the same thing. I am not sure what the ratio with the soda stream is but the regular coke is 5 to 1. Also I would carbonate it after you mix the water and syrup.

Currently, what I do is the following;

the BIB bag comes with a lid which I unscrew, then if you look inside it, there is like a plastic ring which looks like an octagon with holes inbetween the centre, I just grabbed a screw driver and poked it until that lid fell into the syrup, then I just tilt the box and pour the syrup into a plastic bottle and refrigerate until I need to use it. Works like a charm.

Any questions I will post pics.

In this picture you can see that I just punctured the box to grab the tip of the bag so I can work on it

2qx3xn4.jpg

And here you can see it's got holes well before it had a white plate underneath the holes so I poked it with a screw driver and the plate broke off, leaving the open gap to let out the syrup, I just tilt the box and pour into a small container for storage.

5xrddk.jpg

*EDIT* Before I had access to the syrup bags I was buying the SodaStream syrups (eww), so once they got empty I use them now to add the real syrup and put them in the fridge. Hope this helps.

Sam's sells a picnic tap like adapter that can connect directly to non-coke bag in boxes.

One thing to remember about the soda stream is coke/pepsi mix uses more syrup. So you might want to mix your syrup in the bottle before you carbonate it.

One thing to remember about the soda stream is coke/pepsi mix uses more syrup. So you might want to mix your syrup in the bottle before you carbonate it.

Nope, this will not work!

Usually, once you add the carbonation using the soda stream, it will make a big mess!

You need to carbonate the water FIRST, then add the syrup slowly, with the bottle tilted, letting the syrup run down the inside of the bottle!

If it is poured in too fast, it will make a mess!

Back