coing for my first non kit brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoMatt

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing this weekend and instead of buying a high priced kit buying just the ingredients I need. Any suggestions? I want to do either some sort of pale ale, IPA, or red ale. Currently looking for recipes and ingredients so the more suggestions the better. So far the kits I have done did have grains and ME, one with LME one with DME. I prefer the DME if I need any at all. I am wanting to get into partial mashing so if anyone wants to take the time to teach me I am all ears. Comments, recipes and help is appreciated.

Thanks,.

Their are some really good recipes on this site. I brewed the "Tim's Irish Stout" recipe I found here - it was great!

Do you have a local HBS? If so they will have recipes there. I am very fortunate to have a really good LHBS. I have brewed several of their recipes.

A few more questions, Steep for how long, and also how long to sparge (what is the point of this), and boil like I have then get it to the primary and make yeasties happy. Is this all correct? thanks and cheers

Steep for 30mins at 152, don't worry about sparging it's overrated IMHO. You're not really getting many fermentables in an Extract w/grains recipe anyway.

Sparging is rinsing the grains to get the residual sugars out of them, most use 170F water for this, again it's not necessary. You can compensate for the lower efficiency you get by not sparging and just add a bit more grain or DME.

Other than that, everything sounds good!

I've got a killer House Red that's all extract w/grains if you want the recipe. Let me know how much beer you want to end up with and I'll scale the recipe for you if you want.

I am curious: How do you actually save money by NOT buying a kit? Do you have to buy bulk? I was going to use one of Yooper's recipes until I tried to buy all of the ingredients. It was actually cheaper to buy a kit.

Not trying to be smart by the way; I truly don't know. (reading my post, It looks like I am being sarcastic).

I am curious: How do you actually save money by NOT buying a kit? Do you have to buy bulk? I was going to use one of Yooper's recipes until I tried to buy all of the ingredients. It was actually cheaper to buy a kit.

Not trying to be smart by the way; I truly don't know. (reading my post, It looks like I am being sarcastic).

I noticed this too and my solution was to buy in bulk. The one major advantage to not buying kits is having more control over the final product. Once you start buying in bulk though it just keeps getting cheaper.

You've got to buy in bulk to save money, after my first 2 brews I started buying in bulk. My LHBS matches what I get at North Country Malt for DME/Gain in bulk, and my hops in bulk come from HopsDirect.com.

Below is the recipe for the House Red, I try to keep this on tap but it goes pretty quick!

[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: House Red Ale[/size]
Brewer: wyzazz
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 12.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8 lbs         DME Pilsen Light (Briess) (2.0 SRM)       Dry Extract  84.21 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz  Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        15.79 %       
1.25 oz       Northern Brewer [8.50 %]  (60 min)        Hops         32.9 IBU      
0.75 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (45 min)            Hops         21.3 IBU      
0.75 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (15 min)            Hops         11.5 IBU      
1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale                        Yeast-Ale

Notes:
Steep Grains @ 152F for 30 mins in 2gal of water. Boil for 60 mins, add 2lbs DME at begining of boil, add remaining DME at flameout. Add hops at indicated times in ingredient list.

Their are some really good recipes on this site. I brewed the "Tim's Irish Stout" recipe I found here - it was great!

Do you have a local HBS? If so they will have recipes there. I am very fortunate to have a really good LHBS. I have brewed several of their recipes.

+1 for Marsdude.
LHBS can be a good way to get fresh ingredients and some good advice plus you don't have to pay for shipping.
( I usually pay about $23.00/5 gallon, but I do AG so partial mash ~$37.00)

Back