Coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experimented with when to add the coffee to the beer? If so, how did it differ in flavor?

Mash as beans
Boil as beans
Boil as coffee
Se ondary as coffee

I am brewing my Coffee Porter at this very moment.

I have not tried mashing as beans, but I would suspect that it is not the most efficient way, lacking grind, time and temperatures. Anyone else has tried this?

Boiling beans yielded very poor results, extremely acrid and bitter. Undrinkable. Turns out the ideal temperature for brewing coffee is 205F, anything higher than that brings those terrible flavors.

Boiling with coffee works, and yields far better results than boiling with beans. However, I have found that I loose a fair amount of coffee aroma that I am looking for, as most of those aromatic oils are boiled off.

I use coffee in secondary. I put whole beans in a nylon bag and leave it for several days until the flavor and aroma are where I want them. A friend of mine does a cold extract in a French press for 24 hours with a course grind, and then blends it when he is kegging. Both of these methods seem to work very well, yields less acidity, and better aroma.

I cold brew my coffee and add it to the bottling bucket. I added a little at a time and tasted until I got the taste I wanted. No need to secondary if you are just adding coffee. Just mix it gently so you don't mix in O2.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try both methods, beans in secondary and cold brewed coffee in secondary/keg and compare results.

I brewed my coffee stout last weekend...I will say that adding it a bit by bit at kegging is good advice...you don't need as much as you might think yo get the amout of flavor you are looking for

In a Founders Breakfast Stout clone I made I did a "hop" stand for 5-10 minutes with grounds and then dry coffee-d it in secondary. Very pronounced coffee flavor, touch of astringency but all in all very good. I have repeated teh recipe and it is almost spot on.

I bottle carb and have had luck with adding beans to the bottle. Each bottle gets 1 bean, cracked in half.

I make sure to use the least oily bean I can find: went to a local coffee shop, explained what I was doing, and they were more than glad to root through all the coffee they had and get me what I needed.

Latest posts

Back