Noob question on coffee stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kool

Reaction score
Greetings y'all. In the coffee stout recipes I've seen I don't see anything with coffee as an ingredient. How does the coffee flavor get into the beer and can you add some sort of coffee to it to increase the flavor? Thanks

I don't think I've ever seen a coffee stout recipe that doesn't call for coffee (or coffee beans) to be added at some point. It can be added at packaging as cold brewed or normally brewed coffee. Or whole or ground beans can be added at/near the end of fermentation (similar to dry hopping with hops).

Stouts (in general) may have some vaguely coffee-like flavors from roasted grains, but I wouldn't call those coffee stouts.

I don't think I've ever seen a coffee stout recipe that doesn't call for coffee (or coffee beans) to be added at some point. It can be added at packaging as cold brewed or normally brewed coffee. Or whole or ground beans can be added at/near the end of fermentation (similar to dry hopping with hops).

Stouts (in general) may have some vaguely coffee-like flavors from roasted grains, but I wouldn't call those coffee stouts.
Thanks!

Back