Coffee Stout Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordzilla

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew this Sunday morning. I'm going for a somewhat sweet base beer balanced by a good level of slightly bitter coffee flavor. The FG is calculated at 1.021 based on 70% attenuation from the S-04, but I'm guessing it will be more like 1.016-1.018.

I didn't split up the base malt for any particular reason. That's just what I had on hand so i'm using it up.

OG 1.069
FG 1.021
IBUs 42
SRM 36
ABV 6.3%
Batch Size 6.0 gal
Boil Time 60 min
Efficiency 75%

Fermentables
7.0 lb 2-Row 45.34%
4.0 lb Maris Otter Pale 25.91%
1.0 lb Flaked Oats 6.48%
1.0 lb Chocolate 6.48%
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 60L 6.48%
0.75 lb Flaked Barley 4.86%
11.0 oz Roasted Barley 4.47%

Hops
1.25 oz Magnum (US) 60 min

Yeast
Safale S-04 Fermentis

Extras
5.0 oz Whole Coffee Beans 7.0 days Primary

I think the oats and the flaked barley are overkill together and just using one of them should be enough for the mouthfeel/body of the beer. Otherwise it looks a lot like a stout I did last year that I loved. Except for the coffee bean addition in the fermenter. I skipped that and thought it had quite a nice coffee flavor just from the roasted barley and chocolate malt.

Last edited:
I really like the Deception Cream Stout with coffee added myself. One of my fav brews. I add cold brewed coffee at bottling and it turns out great.

I'll also be brewing a coffee stout this weekend. Your recipe looks good. I say if you want to use the oats and flaked barley, then go for it. I'll be adding coffee by putting beans in the boil (mesh bag) for a bit.

Back