Coffee stout help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45thparallelhopper

Reaction score
My friend and I are having a big brew day in a few weeks. Planning to brew six batches total. One of his recipes is for a coffee stout. He is planning to add the coffee flavor at flame out. Is this the best idea? Grounds? Whole bean? Appreciate the help

I've heard of bitterness issues with using whole beans at anytime but this is purely hearsay as I have never tried it.

When I wanted to jazz up a stout I made with coffee flavor, I snagged a grande black coffee at starbux and tossed it into the bucket while I was bottling.

Google "cold brewed coffee".

It's best to add at bottlling time. Add some, taste, maybe add more. You can't subtract so go slow.

I use one cup in two gallons. I'm using Kona Coffee and cold brewing produces a concentrated coffee.

i agree with skipping the kettle. heat doesn't create the steeping effect it just speeds it up. just like you can make iced tea by leaving it overnight. add it to secondary.

I just made one that everyone loves. I cold pressed about 24oz of coffee for three days then added about 15 oz the the bottling bucket at bottling time. Good flavor and not too overpowering. This was for a 2.5 gallon batch so adjust accordingly.

When I made a breakfast stout clone I dropped the ground coffee in after flameout but after I brought the temperature down to 195-205 degrees and gave it a sort of hop stand.

For those that cold brew and add, what water to coffee ground ratio do you use?

DrunkleJon said:
When I made a breakfast stout clone I dropped the ground coffee in after flameout but after I brought the temperature down to 195-205 degrees and gave it a sort of hot stand.

For those that cold brew and add, what water to coffee ground ratio do you use?

I used a cup of ground coffee in a quart of water for a week then filtered at bottling time.

I recently brewed a porter and wanted to add coffee to 2.5g, I asked a friend who owns a coffee shop/roasterie and he introduced me to "cold brewed" coffee -
wow!

I used 1oz of corse ground beans, placed them in a strainer bag and added to secondary in the keg and refridgerated for 24hrs. I sampled and was satisfied with the ammount of coffee and removed the bag. Nice coffee flavor deep and refined.

Back