Coffee Flavor In Stout without Tannins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I recently added about 4 ounces of coarsely ground coffee in a mesh bag to my fermentor for about 24 hours prior to kegging. Although the aroma is fantastic, the coffee flavor is apparent, but not without that feeling of tannic astringency from the bean. Has anyone had good success with heavy coffee notes in the beer without giving off those tannins? I'd love any kind of recommendation.

You could try a lighter roast coffee

Or a heavier stout. The key is balance. If you add something that will make your beer bitter/tannic/etc... you need to have a beer that can stand up to that. You need more sweetness and/or body. Obviously it's too late to add oats or mash higher, but you could add lactose or maltodextrin.

Or a heavier stout. The key is balance. If you add something that will make your beer bitter/tannic/etc... you need to have a beer that can stand up to that. You need more sweetness and/or body. Obviously it's too late to add oats or mash higher, but you could add lactose or maltodextrin.

Can you just add the lactose/maltodextrin straight to the keg, just stir it in? How much would you recommend?

I recently added coffee to a moderately light IPA. I'll get the full recipe and more info up soon for those interested. But I'll also second what most have said above, and particularly emphasize coffee selection. You may want to pick a different coffee, possibly a lighter roast. For my IPA I wanted something very light and fruity (for coffee). So I went to a couple of places with a good selection of coffees and really looked for the profile I wanted. Then before transfer to secondary, I took 2x 2oz samples and added 10 whole beans from 2 different coffees I liked for this beer and let them sit at room temp for the day. On sampling that evening I got a very clear idea of what the coffee would do and picked my favorite. I added about 2oz per 5g as whole beans in secondary. Using lighter roasts of coffee this got me too a moderate and clear coffee nose and low- moderate coffee flavor to go with my hops.

Can you just add the lactose/maltodextrin straight to the keg, just stir it in? How much would you recommend?

Boil it in a little water to sanitize and dissolve. How much depends on taste. Maybe start with 4oz and see what you think. Under carbonation and slightly warm serving temps will help too.

Back