Coconut porter recipe. Need help making it more roasty.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Ok. So I have brewed this recipe 2 times so far and got it pretty dang close to how I want it. I would like just a tad bit more roasty flavor to cut the sweetness down . So please let me know how to adjust my grains or what grains to add to make that happen.

10# 4oz - 2 Row
3# Munich Malt 10L
1# Crystal 40
12oz Chocolate malt
8oz Black (Patent) Malt
1.5 oz of Experimental hops
8oz Lactose
1# of Toasted coconut

Mash at 155F for 60 min

I do all my recipes on Beersmith. So if you need anymore details to help me answer my question just let me know and I will provide them.

So let me know what i can add or increase to get a little more of a roasty character to come through. Thanks so much

i haven't done anything like this yet but this is what i would add...

Black Patent (highly roasted black malt) 500-600°L

The darkest of all malts, use sparingly to add deep color and sharp roast-charcoal flavor. Use no more than 1 to 3%. Best used in trace amounts only, for color. Almost any contribution that black patent gives to beer can be obtained from using another malt with less harsh flavor impacts.

i also would suggest adding 1# coffee...that might get you what you want too

I'd cut the black patent with special roast. Do a 1/2 and 1/2 or do 4 oz BP and 6 oz SR. Then again, I am thinking that I may not be a huge fan of BP so I could be biased. I think Special Roast though gives a smoother roasty flavor.

I'd cut the black patent with special roast. Do a 1/2 and 1/2 or do 4 oz BP and 6 oz SR. Then again, I am thinking that I may not be a huge fan of BP so I could be biased. I think Special Roast though gives a smoother roasty flavor.

Thanks for the help. I will throw some SR in and see how it does. Thanks so much!

If you want more roasty flavor, I'm pretty sure you would use more of the roasted malts. I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on that.

;)

Latest posts

Back