Coconut Milk DIPA - I have clues, but need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see coconut and citrusy tropical hops but the sweet lacto...... i guess id have to try it. Is it just a subtle sweetness or is it like a milk stoat?

I am NOT a fan of sweet beers. That said, the amount of lactose listed in the original recipe will only add to the body of the beer and not make it sweet tasting at all. Trust me...I'm pretty sensitive to that as well.

Any updates? Did it kick back up yet?

Any other tasting reviews from anyone that's tried brewing this lately??

So I wasn't using the damn refractometer calculator. I've been hitting my numbers after all!:ban: I just bottled these lovelies last weekend. I tasted while bottling and it tastes SO GOOD!

I would say that you should def use a muslin bag. Got so frustrated I left a bunch in the fermenter because my auto siphon was getting clogged like ****. (& I used a bouncer filter, clogged that too) Will be making this again soon. Will post pics with tasting notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I wasn't using the damn refractometer calculator. I've been hitting my numbers after all!:ban: I just bottled these lovelies last weekend. I tasted while bottling and it tastes SO GOOD!

I would say that you should def use a muslin bag. Got so frustrated I left a bunch in the fermenter because my auto siphon was getting clogged like ****. (& I used a bouncer filter, clogged that too) Will be making this again soon. Will post pics with tasting notes.

Thanks for sharing. Post a pic! So glad you hit your numbers after all :)

Been in bottles for a week. It has an amazing coconut nose. Nice sweetness, slight booziness (you can tell it's a DIPA) good bitter balance. Very good beer. My fave IPA I've made. I'm sure it will smooth out and get better by next week. Will definitely be brewing again this season! View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1492562470.304595.jpg

Been in bottles for a week. It has an amazing coconut nose. Nice sweetness, slight booziness (you can tell it's a DIPA) good bitter balance. Very good beer. My fave IPA I've made. I'm sure it will smooth out and get better by next week. Will definitely be brewing again this season! View attachment 397118

Nice pic! I'm out of my first two batches....time to brew it again!

Sorry for the delay! Here is the recipe I used for my second batch, slightly adjusted from round 1.

Fermentables:
14lb 2-row
.6lb Crystal 40L
.6lb Carapils
.75lb white sugar

Hops:
60min - 1oz Columbus
30min - .5oz Columbus
5min- .5oz Simcoe
5min - .5oz Mosaic
0min - 1oz Citra
10 days dry hop - 1.5oz Galaxy
10 days dry hop - 1.5oz Mosaic
10 days dry hop - .5oz Citra
5 days dry hop - .5oz Mosaic
5 days dry hop - .5oz Simcoe

Other ingredients:
15min - 8oz Lactose sugar
10 days dry hop - 2lb Toasted coconut (make sure you buy plain coconut, no sugar added. Toast it yourself on a cookie sheet @300F for about 30min, stirring it around a few times so it browns evenly. Also, the first time I bought whole coconuts and took the meat out and diced it up. Tons of work. The second time I bought shredded coconut from Whole Foods, but I did have some problems with a stuck siphon when I was transferring to the bottling bucket. Next time I'll look for coconut flakes instead of shredded in the bulk bin section at Whole Foods.)

Us-05 yeast
Mash a bit high (154F) to keep some residual sugar after fermentation is complete.

That's it's! I'm NOT a 'sweet' beer fan at all. Usually I brew very dry beers that end up with FG around 1.006. But this beer ends up around 1.012 but it just provides body, not sweetness. Also, the coconut is totally present, but not overwhelming. Everyone who has tried this brew loves it.

Let me me know if you like it!!

Hi friends,

I hope you can understand my English.

When you say:

10 days dry hop - 2lb Toasted coconut

Is it in sequence? I mean put the 10 day hops, wait 10 days, put the 5 days hops, wait 5 days then put the coconut and wait 10 days. Or its in total? Put the 10 days hops and the coconut, after 5 days i put the 5 days hop and wait more 5 days and its done?

Thanks,

BR from Brazil :mug:

Hi friends,

I hope you can understand my English.

When you say:

10 days dry hop - 2lb Toasted coconut

Is it in sequence? I mean put the 10 day hops, wait 10 days, put the 5 days hops, wait 5 days then put the coconut and wait 10 days. Or its in total? Put the 10 days hops and the coconut, after 5 days i put the 5 days hop and wait more 5 days and its done?

Thanks,

BR from Brazil :mug:

Sorry for the delay - it's in total. So when you are ready to start dry hopping the longest duration addition goes in and the timer begins, 5 days later put the 5-day hops in. Those are total durations listed

Are you dry hopping with leaf or pellet hops. I love coconut. This sounds delicious

I used pellet hops. I would imagine if you used leaf hops, you would need a larger fermenter as you still need to fit in the 2lb of coconut. My 6.5gal bucket was pretty close to the top when I added the coconut.

It is delicious. You should brew it! :mug:

Might have to try this recipe out this summer... anyone here use much Denali? Just brewed a pale ale with a ton of it and it's straight pineapple, More so than any other hop I've used. Could make a cool combo with the Coconut.

Just took my first gravity sample of my version of this beer.. I tried to amplify the pineapple on mine with hops and yeast and get the extra body from mashing high and using a decent amount of Oat Malt instead of using the lactose. I might add some lactose at the end to see if it needs it but I'm hoping not to.

Inspiration came from Trillium's El Dorado Cutting tiles that I had this winter. That beer was straight Dole Pineapple juice when I first opened it. I made a clone attempt a few months ago that actually came pretty close. Something about the raw wildflower honey and massive amounts of El Dorado that made the pineapple explode. I've brewed a few beers with Denali so far that are incredibly pineapple forward so I decided to combine both and use WLP644 which I've read puts off a huge amount of pineapple when fermented warm.

5 gallons into fermentor

70% Rahr 2-row
9.4% Fawcett Malted Oats
5.5% Flaked Wheat
3.9% Carapils
3.1% C20

.75oz El D @60
1oz El D @10
1oz Denali @ 5

2oz Denali @FO for 30
1oz El D hop hash @ FO for 30
8oz Raw Wildflower Honey @FO

Mash 45min @ 156
1.5l starter WLP644

OG= 1.074

Pitched at 70 let ramp to 76.

Day 4 Bio Transformation Hops
2oz Denali
1oz El D Hop Pellets
1oz El D Hop Hash

Just pulled my first gravity sample one day after adding the Bio hops and it's down to 1.024 and is as close to pineapple juice as I think you could make a beer taste. I'm hoping that mashing at 156 will prevent it from getting too dry but I've read that 644 really attenuates and I've never used it before so we'll see.

Still haven't figured out how much Coconut to add and for how long. dont think i'll add another round of dry hops as I don't really want a really "hoppy" aroma just the juicy taste that these hops contribute.

Might try a kettle soured version of the same recipe to see what the tartness would add. Excited to see how this ends up.

Thanks for the detailed recipe posting. I can't wait to hear how it comes out! I thought about adding some pineapple spears to secondary....maybe soon!

Hello friends,

you said the coconut will absorb many beer. Any problem with using a voil bag with the coconut and in the end squeeze the bag? Will i extract undesirable things doing it?

One more time i apologize and hope you can understand my English.

Br from Brazil.

I used to live in Berkeley and have been drinking Fieldwork since they opened -- the Coconut Milk is by far my favorite.

I'm a partial mash brewer, so I'm using extract... I'm more or less copying the grain from BYO's Pliny clone and then using the hops from the recipe in this thread.

Here's what I'm planning on doing:

7 lbs dried LME
1 lb 2-Row Pale
.5 lb C40
.75 lb Carapils
1 lb corn sugar
8oz lactose

Steeping grains at 151 F for 45 mins before adding extract.

with Crispyvelo's hop schedule:

60min - 1oz Columbus
30min - .5oz Columbus
5min- .5oz Simcoe
5min - .5oz Mosaic
0min - 1oz Citra
2lbs toasted coconut for 10 days

Using 2 packs of dry US-05 yeast, fermenting at 68 F.

Does that all seem reasonable, or is something noticeably off in my recipe? I'm still a rookie!

@bluebane - that looks good to me! Be ready for a big volume loss after the toasted coconut soaks up some liquid. Can't wait to hear what you think!

Brewed this up today, can't wait to taste it. How long did you let the primary go before you started the initial dry hop?

You'll want to wait until primary is about through before adding the first dry hop addition. Mine is usually after about a week.

Yeah I'm worried that the coconut is not being fully submerged and could cause mold / issues. Any issues with this that you have in the past?

I'm worried about the same thing: My whole dry hopping tube is filled with coconut, so I've got a lot not submerged. Really hoping it doesn't mold.

IMG_4433.jpg

Mine is bottled! Tasted great out of the fermenter. Huge tropical blast.

I'm a bit worried it won't be bitter enough -- the IBUs only calculated out to 50.

I'll crack the first one open this weekend!

That label is stone cold pro! Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you taste it.

Cheers!

Woohooo!!!! Great video!!! Thanks so much for sharing!! I was grinning ear-to-ear watching this :))))

Instead of secondary, what about dropping the toasted coconut in a weighted bag in the serving keg?

Instead of secondary, what about dropping the toasted coconut in a weighted bag in the serving keg?

I've heard of other people doing this on coconut stouts/porters. The next time I brew this, I was thinking of keeping the same amount of coconut in secondary, then maybe adding half a pound in a bag at kegging.

I've heard of other people doing this on coconut stouts/porters. The next time I brew this, I was thinking of keeping the same amount of coconut in secondary, then maybe adding half a pound in a bag at kegging.

The reason why I asked is because wouldn't it keep more flavor in the keg? My IPAs fly in less than two weeks anyway and I think the coconut flavor will be retain if it sits in the keg.

The reason why I asked is because wouldn't it keep more flavor in the keg? My IPAs fly in less than two weeks anyway and I think the coconut flavor will be retain if it sits in the keg.

I don't think the amount of time it's in the keg is an issue. 2lb of shredded coconut takes up a ton of room in 6 1/2g bucket fermenter. I think if you were to place all of it in the keg, then you would only have room for 4g of beer.

This is why in my last post I suggest doing the secondary, then adding only 1/2lb or maybe even 1/4lb to the keg. This will allow room for almost the entire 5g of beer, plus it should be enough coconut to keep a pronounced flavor coming through if that's what you're really after.

I'm due to make another batch of this REAL soon...Anyone else out there brew it lately?

I won a trophy with this beer at a local brew off! I did change up the schedule and the amount of hops used as I had to get it bottled and ready for the competition.

This sounds like an amazing beer and I am thinking of adding it to the future brews. Has anyone used a vodka tincture with the toasted coconut instead of dry hopping. I have used that with a lot of other adjuncts and it works great. Also it goes in at kegging/Bottling and may hold the flavor better. Use say a two or three cups of the cheep stuff and let the coconut and Lacto soak in it for a few weeks while all the dry hopping is taking place. Then wring out the vodka and add to the brew. It is also a way to control the flavor addition because you can add to taste. This would end the beer loss over absorption. Of course the vodka would thin out the beer so it would need to have the tooth to handle the amount required. Thoughts? :mug:

I won a trophy with this beer at a local brew off! I did change up the schedule and the amount of hops used as I had to get it bottled and ready for the competition.

Congrats on the big WIN! I love hearing that :))

This sounds like an amazing beer and I am thinking of adding it to the future brews. Has anyone used a vodka tincture with the toasted coconut instead of dry hopping. I have used that with a lot of other adjuncts and it works great. Also it goes in at kegging/Bottling and may hold the flavor better. Use say a two or three cups of the cheep stuff and let the coconut and Lacto soak in it for a few weeks while all the dry hopping is taking place. Then wring out the vodka and add to the brew. It is also a way to control the flavor addition because you can add to taste. This would end the beer loss over absorption. Of course the vodka would thin out the beer so it would need to have the tooth to handle the amount required. Thoughts? :mug:

The only similar experience I have is when I made a chocolate stout and used both cocoa nibs and chocolate extract (the pre-packaged stuff in the spice aisle. I'd love to see you test a batch out with that idea and post the results. We could get some great learnings!

I don't think I'd want all that coconut in the keg, I had a fun enough time when I transferred it from my carboy to keg with my auto-siphon.

I did freeze the coconut after it came out of the oven to prevent any sort of contamination before adding it with the dry hop.

Time to brew this again! Will post notes and results along the way!

@Crispyvelo Looking to make this, 3gal batch. I don't have most of the hops you used, but I have a lot of others that I think would work well. Considering a combo of El Dorado, Idaho 7, and Green Machine, with CTZ for bittering. Thoughts?

Back