Coconut Milk DIPA - I have clues, but need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the article about lactose posted earlier and it said that 5% is a nuance. But I see that this recipe is well under 5%
Is it more noticeable because it's not a stout like the examples in the article?

Hey Nomofett,

I hadn't added lactose before this beer. I'm pretty sensitive to residual sweetness in beer...so I didn't want to have a heavy hand. I think the amounts I used give it body and a mouthfeel, without feeling the least bit sweet. I would love to compare the same beer with different percentages of lactose side-by-side. Let me know how yours comes out if you decide to use more.

Quick update on mine!

Finished at about 7.2% ABV. Used 7 oz of coconut (the pre-packaged whole pieces from whole foods) for a bit over a gallon of beer in the fermenter. Ended up with 9 bottles. You weren't lying about the coconut sucking up the beer Crispy! It smelled absolutely incredible though!

Should be ready to drink this weekend. I will report back :)

Report back! Crack one of those babies open! Post a tasting video ;)

Ok, so mine finished tonight and I got it all kegged and forced carbbed up. Unfortunately it's still not quite cold, but I took a pull anyway.

Up front it's slightly sweet, then goes into a big citrus bomb. I get a lot of pineapple up front from mine. About halfway through the taste is where the coconut comes through, then it finishes off with a nice hop punch.

I really like it. Could be my best beer to date and I will definitely be brewing this again. The picture is a little dark. The beer is actually a nice bright yellow with haze.

I did a couple of things slightly differently. I added 10oz of coconut to the mash. I have no idea if this did anything what-so-ever, because I don't have anything to compare it with. I also changed the hop additions a tad for a couple of reasons (hops on hand and I didn't want .5oz of each hop left over). Below is the recipe I ended up with.

Fermentables:
14lb 2-row
.6lb Crystal 40L
.6lb Carapils
.75lb white sugar

Hops:
60min - 1oz Columbus
30min - .5oz Columbus
5min- .5oz Simcoe
5min - .5oz Mosaic
0min - 1oz Citra
10 days dry hop - 1.5oz Galaxy
10 days dry hop - 1.5oz Mosaic
10 days dry hop - .5oz Citra
5 days dry hop - .5oz Citra
5 days dry hop - .5oz Simcoe
5 days dry hop - .5oz Galaxy

Us-05 yeast
Mash 154

Other ingredients:
15min - 8oz Lactose sugar
10 days dry hop - 2lb Toasted coconut plain shredded coconut, no sugar added. Toasted on a cookie sheet @325F for about 25min, stirring it around once at 15 min.

8ACE8CE1-.jpg

Congrats on a successful brew - it looks tasty!! Thanks for posting your recipe and picture of the final product.

Just bottled my Coconut IPA. It smelt amazing and had great taste. 1.062 OG, 1.008 FG. The large coconut chunks did take a lot of my beer. about 10 bottles less than I expected overall. Really excited for this!

The large coconut chunks did take a lot of my beer. about 10 bottles less than I expected overall.

Yes, I agree! Next time I will probably adjust for 6gal into the fermenter instead of 5.5 to try and compensate for some of that.

Fermentables:
.75lb white sugar

Mash a bit high (154F) to keep some residual sugar after fermentation is complete.

These seem to be in conflict. If a higher FG is desired, you should skip the sugar (I assume sucrose in this case?) addition and adjust your mash accordingly. Sucrose will almost entirely ferment out, leaving little to no residuals.

These seem to be in conflict. If a higher FG is desired, you should skip the sugar (I assume sucrose in this case?) addition and adjust your mash accordingly. Sucrose will almost entirely ferment out, leaving little to no residuals.

Tiber_Brew - You're absolutely right. I have no idea why I included that in my original recipe. In theory, you should up the grain and target whatever you desire for your OG. In my case, I'd been having some efficiency problems, so I probably did that after I had already purchased my grain.

I have since been achieving better efficiency, so I'd probably forego the white sugar altogether.

Thanks for calling that out! :mug:

Tiber_Brew - You're absolutely right. I have no idea why I included that in my original recipe. In theory, you should up the grain and target whatever you desire for your OG. In my case, I'd been having some efficiency problems, so I probably did that after I had already purchased my grain.

I have since been achieving better efficiency, so I'd probably forego the white sugar altogether.

Sounds like a plan! :mug:

I bottled both batches and did not have any issues with carbonation.

I forgot to put this in my last post about this beer, but I wanted to add that head retention is not an issue either. I have seen other posts where people are concerned about it because of the coconut oils, but head retention on mine is amazing and it leaves tons of lacing on the glass.

So I'm still fairly new to all grain. Would you keep the same grain bill percentages and just up the amount accordingly to hit the desired abv?

So I'm still fairly new to all grain. Would you keep the same grain bill percentages and just up the amount accordingly to hit the desired abv?

Hi Enemygod,

Exactly right. If you keep the percentages the same, then you can increase or decrease depending on your efficiency.

Sorry if you've already answered this but, the 2lbs of coconut, Im assuming is pre-toast. If so, do you have a post weight? I'm going to use fresh coconut (plenty here on Guam!) and I know the starting weight is much heavier using fresh wet stuff. I made a coconut IPA while back and by the time it was toasted, I'd say it lost more than half the weight.

Going to give this a shot next using 100 percent citra, as I believe this is what Fieldwork uses in their Coconut Milk IIPA.

So I brewed a 3 gallon batch, and split into two 2 gallon fermenters. One with a pound of mango, and the other 7oz of coconut chunks (from whole foods).

The coconut one was WAY too coconutty for my tastes. It completely overwhelmed any other subtleties of the beer. No hops, very little lactose. I know for sure this was because of the coconut, because the mango one had plenty of sweetness and hop flavor.

I also may have left it in a bit too long? It was almost 2 weeks before I bottled it.

What is odd, is i added some lactose right to my glass when pouring one, and it was much more balanced. So if I were to do this again, I think I might up the lactose in my grain bill. I was at 6.7%, I might bump to almost 10 next go round.

Although the mango was fantastic.

Sorry if you've already answered this but, the 2lbs of coconut, Im assuming is pre-toast. If so, do you have a post weight? I'm going to use fresh coconut (plenty here on Guam!) and I know the starting weight is much heavier using fresh wet stuff. I made a coconut IPA while back and by the time it was toasted, I'd say it lost more than half the weight.

Yes, the 2lb I used was pre-toasted and shredded. I did not weigh it after toasting though.

The coconut one was WAY too coconutty for my tastes. It completely overwhelmed any other subtleties of the beer. No hops, very little lactose. I know for sure this was because of the coconut, because the mango one had plenty of sweetness and hop flavor.

I also may have left it in a bit too long? It was almost 2 weeks before I bottled it.

That is very interesting. You have to really search your taste buds to taste the coconut in mine. It's there, but it weaves in and out of the taste. The tropical fruitiness is way more present with a nice hop backbone.

So if I were to do this again, I think I might up the lactose in my grain bill. I was at 6.7%, I might bump to almost 10 next go round.

Also interesting notes in your lactose dosage. I only used about 3%, which is what I think Crispy's recipe called for. It mostly seems to just add to the body. 10% is what you would usually find in a sweet stout or something of that nature. Unfortunately I've never had Fieldworks, so I"m not sure how sweet it is, if at all.

One thing I did notice about mine now that I've had it kegged 2 weeks, is that the hops are more up front now, which is kind of backwards from what I know about IPA's. I wonder if that's due to some of the sweetness/fruitiness taking a bit of a back seat now that it's a couple of weeks old?

That is very interesting. You have to really search your taste buds to taste the coconut in mine. It's there, but it weaves in and out of the taste. The tropical fruitiness is way more present with a nice hop backbone.

Also interesting notes in your lactose dosage. I only used about 3%, which is what I think Crispy's recipe called for. It mostly seems to just add to the body. 10% is what you would usually find in a sweet stout or something of that nature. Unfortunately I've never had Fieldworks, so I"m not sure how sweet it is, if at all.

One thing I did notice about mine now that I've had it kegged 2 weeks, is that the hops are more up front now, which is kind of backwards from what I know about IPA's. I wonder if that's due to some of the sweetness/fruitiness taking a bit of a back seat now that it's a couple of weeks old?

Honestly it is weird.. With the "new england style" I find I don't like them very very fresh... I find that I like them about 2-3 weeks after kegging. 0-2 weeks usually has some kind of astringent flavor I am not a fan of.

As for the sweetness, I am used to the double mango milkshake from tired hands, and that is very very sweet. Also it is odd how the sweetness came through in the mango version (again, same base), but not the coconut. There are very few things I would tweak in the mango version.

There are very few things I would tweak in the mango version.

Did you toast the coconut chunks you added, or did you just add them fresh?

Can you give me some details on how you did the mango? Maybe I'll siphon off 1 gallon next time I make this and give that a try. I live in CA, so I dont get to try all these sweet and fruity east coast IPA's. :(

Can you give me some details on how you did the mango? Maybe I'll siphon off 1 gallon next time I make this and give that a try. I live in CA, so I dont get to try all these sweet and fruity east coast IPA's. :(

Sure.. what kind of details are you looking for exactly though?

If you are just looking for a good NE IPA base recipe, try this out. There is a group of homebrewers on facebook, and this is what most people work from. People have won awards with it.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1183248/thhb

Sorry for the delayed response - yes, two pounds prior to toasting. For my first batch I carved up 4 raw coconuts (and it took forever!).

Yes, the small dose of lactose is just for body, not detectable sweetness. It just adds a roundness/weightiness that supports the coconut.

Also, one thing I've noticed about this beer is that it should be consumed as quickly as possible. You'll notice the tropical coconut aroma fades pretty quickly...as it, it will be best the first week or two, then start to degrade. It's still fine a month or 2 in the bottle, but it loses that "special" quality you get in the first week or two.

If you find the coconut too strong, give it a week or two and you will see it fade., which might be bette suited for your palate.

Cheers!

Yes, the small dose of lactose is just for body, not detectable sweetness. It just adds a roundness/weightiness that supports the coconut.

Also, one thing I've noticed about this beer is that it should be consumed as quickly as possible. You'll notice the tropical coconut aroma fades pretty quickly...as it, it will be best the first week or two, then start to degrade. It's still fine a month or 2 in the bottle, but it loses that "special" quality you get in the first week or two.

If you find the coconut too strong, give it a week or two and you will see it fade., which might be bette suited for your palate.

Cheers!

Thanks again for all the guidance..

Curious if you have ever had any tired hands milkshakes? I guess that is what I am comparing the homebrew to. TH milkshakes are NOT subtle in any way, the fruit, the lactose, hop bitternes etc.

It's still fine a month or 2 in the bottle, but it loses that "special" quality you get in the first week or two.

I agree with this completely. 2 weeks later it's still very good and enjoyable, but that "special" quality has definitely faded or changed.

Curious if you have ever had any tired hands milkshakes? I guess that is what I am comparing the homebrew to. TH milkshakes are NOT subtle in any way, the fruit, the lactose, hop bitternes etc.

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of having any TH milkshakes. Feel free to send us a bottle or 2 though! :)

Hmmm, I wonder if they change their hop bill periodically because I had it on pretty good authority that it was 100 percent citra, at least at one point. That is also what their website (and the can) reflects...

Oh that's interesting....I wonder if they've been refining their recipe. Now someone needs to brew it with 100% citra and report back!

Hmmm, I wonder if they change their hop bill periodically because I had it on pretty good authority that it was 100 percent citra, at least at one point. That is also what their website (and the can) reflects...

I assume you are going off this? It almost seems incomplete to me.

Coconut Milk DIPA.JPG

I just started using Mr. Malty because I was having problems hitting my FG. Turns out i underpitched quite a bit on this one.(reading around 1.040!, after almost 2 weeks) I already added the coconut & dry hops. just added some more yeast to finish up. Will this affect the flavor?

I just started using Mr. Malty because I was having problems hitting my FG. Turns out i underpitched quite a bit on this one.(reading around 1.040!, after almost 2 weeks) I already added the coconut & dry hops. just added some more yeast to finish up. Will this affect the flavor?

Fermentation will likely 'scrub' a good amount of your hop and coconut aroma and flavor. Taste it when you hit your FG and decide whether an additional hop/coconut addition is needed.

Any updates? Did it kick back up yet?

Any other tasting reviews from anyone that's tried brewing this lately??

I can see coconut and citrusy tropical hops but the sweet lacto...... i guess id have to try it. Is it just a subtle sweetness or is it like a milk stoat?

Back