Cocoa nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rynoryan

Reaction score
I want to add cocoa nibs to a five gallon batch of a stout I made. I'm not sure how to prep them or how much to add. I prefer a strong chocolate flavor, but at the same time don't want it to overpower the other flavors. Anybody who's worked with them before I'm ready and willing for some advice

I used 3oz in an american stout. I soaked them in cognac for three days. I used just enough to cover the cocoa. I added them in a muslin bag 7 days before bottling. It produced a subtle cocoa aroma which I thouhht was perfect.

teddy4xp said:
I used 3oz in an american stout. I soaked them in cognac for three days. I used just enough to cover the cocoa. I added them in a muslin bag 7 days before bottling. It produced a subtle cocoa aroma which I thouhht was perfect.

Thanks a lot man. Ill use that to get me in the ballpark. Yeah I def like the idea of the muslin bag, great idea. Thanks again.

Put them in at flame-out, and they will be sanitized by the hot wort. Leave them in through fermentation. Works great. Done this on my chocolate stout numerous times with great results!

If you want some more opinions, try searching. You'll find quite a few threads on this subject.

teddy4xp said:

The bag is key! Listen to this man!

I bottled 5 gal of stout from a conical fermentor.....my buddy just dropped the nibs in......the nibs kept getting clogged in the lower valve!!!

I just used cacao nibs yesterday and I just added 1.5oz @ 15mins. It is all about your recipe and what you a shooting for as far as amount used. I weighed mine out and put em in a muslin bag.

I use 1/4 - 1/2 a lb in a 5 gallon batch for 1-2 weeks. The nibs I get come with a husk mixture. I haven't had to sanitize. I have both tossed them straight in and used a bag. If you toss them straight in just tie a hop bag to you siphon when racking to filter.

Soak the nibs in either vodka or another alcohol for 5 days prior to adding into the beer. The alcohol will gently break down the cocoa structure and you will impart a much better cocoa flavor into the beer with a relative small amount of nibs. I used 3 oz soaked in vodka mixed with vanilla extract. Works great.

SteveHeff said:
Soak the nibs in either vodka or another alcohol for 5 days prior to adding into the beer. The alcohol will gently break down the cocoa structure and you will impart a much better cocoa flavor into the beer with a relative small amount of nibs. I used 3 oz soaked in vodka mixed with vanilla extract. Works great.

That sounds like something I'd like a lot right there. I did a search but couldn't find anything significant. Thanks for the help guys.

Back