Cocoa nibs (how much is enough)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I have brewed a coconut stout.
Adding cocoa nibs to add a chocolate flavor.
I am not good with judging chocolate flavor and have never used nibs. Don’t want to over power, but get a good noticeable chocolate flavor.
How much is enough to get a good chocolate flavor?
2oz?
4oz?

I have brewed a coconut stout.
Adding cocoa nibs to add a chocolate flavor.
I am not good with judging chocolate flavor and have never used nibs. Don’t want to over power, but get a good noticeable chocolate flavor.
How much is enough to get a good chocolate flavor?
2oz?
4oz?

I did a 5.5G batch of Chocolate Milk Stout. I used a 4 oz pack of nibs and toasted them lightly to release aroma. I soaked them in a cup of vodka to make a tincture, strained and added the tincture to taste. I used most of the infused vodka but had maybe two ounces left over. Tinctures work for me to better control the addition at kegging.....or bottling if that is your process.

When I used nibs, I added 8oz/5gal, but this is tailored to suit the women around here that demand chocolate flavor in the chocolate milk stout I brew. Its borderline too much for a chocolate normie, like me. But they love it.

Ive had good results with 6oz, thought 4oz was weak.

I now use 8oz cholaca in place of the nibs.

I recently racked off primary and added 200gr from a 300gr pack of nibs to a port blend, they floated for 12 hrs then slowly descended to the confines of the Lee's playground.

I ended up bumping up the nibs to 4 oz, soaking in vodka

4 oz will work well i have used 4oz and 8oz soaked in vodka in diferent milk stout batches the first was good balanced and the second was too much chocolate taste (my wife loved it) but is up to you, now you have a good pretext to make a second batch with more nibs :D

I just got my latest version of BYO magazine where Death by Coconut recipe was featured from Oskar Blues. Instead of nibs, they used a liquid cacao called Cholaca. Sounds interesting.

I put 10 oz. of chocolate extract into 5 gallons. I did not taste much chocolate.

Even after the 1st racking any added RS value will diminish at least .250 while suspension settles and wine matures. I carboy for 1 year prior to bottling.It guarantees no explosions in the wine room

And here I was worried that 4 oz was going to be too much.
Now with a week left to bottle I feel like I will barely get a chocolate flavor!

And here I was worried that 4 oz was going to be too much.
Now with a week left to bottle I feel like I will barely get a chocolate flavor!

Chocolate extract sucks, doesn't impart chocolate flavor. With 4oz of nibs, you will get chocolate flavor but I did mention 6oz was a good amount, 8oz for chocolate fiends ;) Also mentioned cholaca, which is something you could do now too for extra measure.

Latest posts

Back