coco nibs v powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Gamble

Reaction score
Going to be brewing a porter in the next couple of days and want to give it a chocolate flavor. So my question it this, which will give me the beat chocolate flavor, the coco nibs or the coco powder? And which is easier to incorporate into the beer? Will most likely add the chocolate into the boil.
Thanks

i was drunk one night filling up a keg and i was like "ah hell ill just throw the nibs in the keg". Well this was the best thing i have ever done. It began to plug the dip tube with cocao nibs, since they are quite large the beer was able to flow slowly through the nibs in the dip tube created a great chocolate infusion into my porters.

needless to say i wont be going back to adding them any other way, this way makes the chocolate shine. The girls love it!

I made a 2.5G chocolate stout. It had chocolate malt as part of the grain bill, plus I added 4oz Hershey unsweetened cocoa powder with 10 min left in boil, and 4oz of cocoa nibs soaked in vanilla vodka. The nibs soaked for three weeks (life got busy), I strained them and added just the vodka to primary. Got a real nice dark chocolate and vanilla taste, but not overly sweet which was good.

Powder in the boil and nibs in the keg. That is how I did my last chocolate beer ( cream stout) and it came out killer. I am gonna do the same to my porter when I brew it again in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back