Co2 tank leak, tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juslod

Reaction score
I recently got a Co2 tank to carb up a keg I have sitting inside. I hit the keg with just about 30 psi and sprayed down the connections with a starsan mixture I had in a spray bottle but didn't see any signs of leaking. I checked for a few days with the same results.. Well, I didn't check the past couple days and today I was going to move it outside to chill it and noticed the tank was empty. It is a brand new regulator and I used the plastic ring to seal the regulator to the tank.

I searched threads and found some stuff to try, I had replaced the dip-tube o-rings when I purchased the keg because they were worn and looked liked they needed replacing. I didn't replace the post o-rings however and this is the first thing I am going to do prior to hooking the tank back up once I get it re-filled. My LHB store doesn't sell keg lube, so I am probably going to order some from online as well, to make sure everything gets a good fitting.

One question I had is about the Gas / Liquid disconnects that fit on the keg posts. I have threaded fittings and I use a barbed swivel nut to screw on to the fittings. The barbed swivel nut does not have any type of washer... could this be my problem?

I've never used this type of setup, but I do have experience with gas lines and whatnot. Personally, I'd at the very least put some teflon tape on those threads you mention in your last paragraph.

Those are flare fittings. You don't put teflon tape on flare fittings as long as you screw them on tight enough.

Make sure that all the connections on your regulator are screwed in tight and have enough tape on them, though. I had a great deal of trouble trying to get my regulator to stop leaking. Keg lube on the o-rings might help solve your problem though.

The gas and liquid disconnects, do they appear to have a rubber washer built onto the end of them where your nut screws on. If so then you shouldn't need a washer. If not then you do need a washer. +1 You don't need teflon tape on flare fittings. The washer seals the fitting not the threads, ie as on a pipe thread which is tapered.

How often do you see a leak in the fittings on a regulator? It is new so I assumed it would be tested but I guess I can't rely on that at all. I'll check all the fittings on the regulator to make sure they are tight, but they do have plenty of tape it would seem.

I'm planning on getting some keg lube, do generally lube the posts and lid only, or do you do the o-ring on the dip-tubes?

They do appear to have a little plastic tip on the top of the disconnects, it is a very hard plastic so I didn't think that it would be a good seal. When I get my tank refilled I will tighten them to make sure they're down all the way. I was thinking about doing a test with the gas line and disconnect by leaving it disconnected from a keg and put the PSI up to 30 or 40 on the line/disconnect. Turning the tank off and seeing if the pressure bleeds off in a day, I guess that would tell me for sure if the leak would be between the regulator and the disconnect...

Thanks for the tips.

I just started kegging not long ago but have had good luck so far. If I have had a lid seal or a disconnect leak I have always been able to hear it. I also use soapy water in a spray bottle. I lube all the orings including the lid, but just slightly. When I initially pressurize the keg I do it in the closet with the door closed so that it's really quiet. My disconnects also have that black plastic tip and I have never used a gasket on those. Make sure you tighten it with a wrench.

I just started kegging not long ago but have had good luck so far. If I have had a lid seal or a disconnect leak I have always been able to hear it. I also use soapy water in a spray bottle. I lube all the orings including the lid, but just slightly. When I initially pressurize the keg I do it in the closet with the door closed so that it's really quiet. My disconnects also have that black plastic tip and I have never used a gasket on those. Make sure you tighten it with a wrench.

This time around I am going to try hitting the keg with upwards of 40-60 PSI first, to see if I hear anything. I only tightened the nuts on the quick disconnect by hand last time, maybe this is where I went wrong?

Thanks.

Update on this problem. I got the Co2 tank refilled and I tried an experiment...

I connected the gas quick-disconnect to the line, and tightened it with a wrench. I turned on the gas and raised the regulator to 60psi but will the pressure in the regulator / line reach 60psi? It stays at 60psi for a little while, but then starts to drop and this morning the regulator was at 0psi. I would assume this is a leak somewhere in the regulator or gas line but even spraying the fittings I have found no bubbles and cannot hear a leak!

You've got a slow leak somewhere from the sounds of it. Probably too slow to bubble with star san or maybe even soapy water. Try to lay your hands on an commercial leak detect compound such as one by Contesco. It should do a better job of finding a slow leak. Look for tiny foamy bubbles. If it's that slow you won't see big obvious ones.

Check all over your regulator, not just the fittings.

You've got a slow leak somewhere from the sounds of it. Probably too slow to bubble with star san or maybe even soapy water. Try to lay your hands on an commercial leak detect compound such as one by Contesco. It should do a better job of finding a slow leak. Look for tiny foamy bubbles. If it's that slow you won't see big obvious ones.

Check all over your regulator, not just the fittings.

Ok, the place I work has some commercial leak detection they use on aircraft parts so I'll give that a try :mug:

Err.. Just now I turned on the Co2 tank to try to find the leak again and the regulator is emitting a hiss which is probably the leak I have been searching for... It is on the little valve at 7 o'clock on the regulator. How do I fix this? This damn thing is brand new. :(

If it's not just tightening a thread I would send it back. I had problems with my first regs and had to return them for new ones. Mine weren't leaking but I had adjustment problems that seemed to be internal. The second set I got worked fine. I'm beginning to wonder about the quality of these things.

If it's not just tightening a thread I would send it back. I had problems with my first regs and had to return them for new ones. Mine weren't leaking but I had adjustment problems that seemed to be internal. The second set I got worked fine. I'm beginning to wonder about the quality of these things.

So, a quick update on my problem. I got it as a gift and the guy won't replace it or return it because I don't have a receipt and neither does the person who purchased it for me. I was playing around with the regulator a little bit and I can still hear a slight hissing noise when I have the PSI turned up to around 30 from what I assume is the pressure release valve. Here is a picture of where it sounds like it is coming from:

valve1.jpg

Can I take the regulator apart and replace a gasket or something?

Back