CO2 lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkbie

Reaction score
I usually run some sanitizer through my CO2 lines into and through the tap via a corny keg before I tap a new one.

Recently, I brewed beer and filled up my two corny's forgetting to flush the lines and I don't have a extra corny as of yet to do this.

Question is.........am I still OK to hook up? I can see the old beer in the lines and concerned about bacteria or any foul stuff but I'm thinking since these lines are sealed...with no air getting in, I should be ok. Worst case would be to fill up a glass half full of the new batch to flush out a bit and then discard.

Make sense? Thanks.

I’m confused! You flush your CO2 lines with sanitizer? Why?
I can understand running a cleaner (B-Brite) through your liquid lines, rinsing, then flushing with sanitizer between kegs.
If that’s your intent, you can hook up plastic bottle from a line cleaner system to flush or borrow a keg and do your cleaning.

You mean you run the sanitizer through the liquid lines, not the c02 lines? If you have beer in them, I assume you mean the beverage line, not the c02 line.

If you can't run water or cleaner through them, then I guess beer would have to be the next best thing!

I assume you mean your beer lines, not your CO2 lines. How old is the beer in the line? It should take a long time before that beer actually goes nasty.

Yes, yes......the beer lines. The beer in the lines is approx. 3 months old. But, as I mentioned, since most bacteria requires air to develop and these lines are sealed I'm hoping I'm ok.

If I were worried and had no other options, I'd just disconnect the lines and give them a soak in my favorite cleaner.

Next time clean them before you let them sit for 3 months. We’re they kept cold or was the fridge/freezer turned off? If cold roll with it, if warm replace.

Latest posts

Back