Co2 leaking around keg lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. Looking for advice on a keg leaking gas. This keg has had beer in it before, 3 times I think, and I’ve not had this problem. Filled it with my latest brew and set up the Co2 to carb. I was in a hurry and didn’t check right away for leaks. The next day, I tried to pour some soda water I keep in another keg, and the pressure was really low. I was fairly certain what had happened immediately. Opened my kegerator door and, yes, my tank was empty. So, I go get it filled. Come back, hook it up, and this time I do a quick check for leaks. I don’t notice any, so I let it be. Next day, same thing... empty tank. Another $15 to get it filled again, and I hook up. THIS TIME, I get some StarSan in a bottle and spray around. Lots of bubbles from the keg lid. I release the pressure, open and re-set the lid, gas up and it’s still leaking. StarSan bubbles like crazy. I applied more keg lube on the o-ring, tried to maneuver the lid different ways, but no matter what it’s still leaking. So I have a beer sitting in the kegerator, no gas because I can’t keep it from leaking. Any advice on what to do about the lid? I’ve never had this happen before. I first started kegging earlier this year but have already kegged 7 beers, ...3 in that particular keg, 4 in another. Probably over 20 kegs of water (homemade seltzer water) in a third keg. Haven’t had this happen once.

I should also point out a couple of things. Although this keg was used when I got it, I of course refitted it with all new o-rings. Also, when I spray the StarSan it bubbles on both long sides of the oval lid. So, I can’t just try to set the lid more to one side, if you know what I mean.

That! ^

O-rings deform under pressure/force, then slowly spring back to their original round profile, when released. That could take days, weeks, or never quite.

Also check the lid and rim for deformations, burrs, dents, or even leftover pieces of rubber that got stuck from old rings, etc.
Although interchangeably, have you swapped lids with other kegs? That suddenly could show an issue like yours too.

I’m just mad because a tank fill is $25 and a 30 minute drive for me.

Did you release the lever and pull while twisting at all? I have one used keg with the oversized o-ring that takes a bit of trickery to seal. Once sealed its fine.

Geezus, $25 for a 5# refill.

for that i'd want to watch them fill my spiffy aluminum tank in front of me! :mug: and weigh it before and after to make sure it was full...

i did see a 5lb nice tank sitting in the corner last time i swapped my 20lb'r...that you? ;)

I had this problem too when I first started kegging. My mistake was I would lock down the lid prior to putting it on gas. Now I do the opposite. I use the gas to seat the lid then lock it down. Never had a leak since. Also go easy on the lube. You should not see globs of lube on the gasket or on the lip of the keg. If you do, clean it off completely and apply a small amount. Be sure to feel inside of the keg lip to ensure it is smooth. Sometimes excessive keg lube can dry and create bumps and those don't seal well. Hot water and a little scrubbing will generally get the inside lip clean and smooth.

Here's a video for the lid seal procedure:

~HopSing.

THIS TIME, I get some StarSan in a bottle and spray around.
This is good to do every time. When I keg I already have StarSan in a bottle cause I spray just about everything since it's easier than soaking. And I always spray my keg lid, posts, and PRV after pressurizing a keg to make sure there's no leaks.

Also as mentioned above try seating the lid before locking it down if you're not already.l

I have a keg like this. Haven’t tried the pressurize then set lid but I have had success putting thin metal strips underneath the lid feet to put more pressure on the lid and thus seal the gasket. Will be trying the pressurize and seat trick as well though.

I have one keg that the keg and lid are both slightly deformed so that the lid only seals when set in the one direction. Once I got it sealed, I drew a line across both with a Sharpie so now I know to just match the lines up.

This is good to do every time. When I keg I already have StarSan in a bottle cause I spray just about everything since it's easier than soaking. And I always spray my keg lid, posts, and PRV after pressurizing a keg to make sure there's no leaks.

+1. I've discovered several "micro-leaks" from the PRV by spraying them with StarSan after the keg is purged. I change the spray bottle to full stream and slowly fill the PRV to check for bubbles (along with the lid and posts). I use to go through 10# of CO2 in 8 to 9 months. Now it's a solid 11 to 12 months for the same # of kegs. I tried replacing the o-rings on the PRV and they still leaked. I purchased new stainless PRV's ($17 for 4) and the spring tension was noticeably stronger than the old plastic ones I replaced. Problem solved. I never would have discovered the leak by simply trying to listen for it. StarSan bubbles were key.

~HopSing.

I had this problem too when I first started kegging. My mistake was I would lock down the lid prior to putting it on gas. Now I do the opposite. I use the gas to seat the lid then lock it down. Never had a leak since. Also go easy on the lube. You should not see globs of lube on the gasket or on the lip of the keg. If you do, clean it off completely and apply a small amount. Be sure to feel inside of the keg lip to ensure it is smooth. Sometimes excessive keg lube can dry and create bumps and those don't seal well. Hot water and a little scrubbing will generally get the inside lip clean and smooth.

Here's a video for the lid seal procedure:

~HopSing.

This technique did the trick for me, half my kegs don't seal unless I do it that way

~HopSing.

This is what I came here to say

I applied more keg lube on the o-ring, tried to maneuver the lid different ways, but no matter what it’s still leaking.

I know this might rankle some keg lube believers, but keg lube is not really for fixing leaks. Think about how easy it is to wipe away. What keg lube does is make it less likely that an O-ring will tear or crack, prolonging its effective life. I replace all my O-rings frequently (mostly for sanitation purposes) and don't bother with lube anymore.

I know this might rankle some keg lube believers, but keg lube is not really for fixing leaks. Think about how easy it is to wipe away. What keg lube does is make it less likely that an O-ring will tear or crack, prolonging its effective life. I replace all my O-rings frequently (mostly for sanitation purposes) and don't bother with lube anymore.

HERESY! BLASPHEMY! It protects the CO2 blanket! It hugs trees! It autorecalibrates hydrometers! It saves the dinosaurs! It saves baby seals!
Wait, it actually does help seals.
Carry on.

Great suggestions, all over the place. Thanks, good people! I do apply keg lube, but never too much, and I always do a hot wash and rinse after every keg even if the same beer is going in after. I also crank the psi to 45-50 to set the lid BUT I’ve been doing that after locking it. I’ll try hitting the gas before locking and see if that does it. Might also look into new lids, and possibly the oversized o-ring mentioned above.

Back