CO2 leak from Vaseline (Keg Lube)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs2to4

Reaction score
Hi,
I just kegged my Pale Ale and for the first time, used Vaseline for my large O-ring. I haven't checked out the keg for about two week and when going to tap the keg for the first time, there was no pressure. Can Vaseline be the culprit? Has anyone had this happen to them? All of the other beers that I have keg has been without Vaseline and they've all held their pressure fine.

It could be another number of things other than just that one o-ring. Put some pressure on it and spray it with water and try and see where the leak is.

I would say no. We use Vaseline on o rings all the time at work and never had a problem. If we don't use Vaseline it is more likely to leak.

maybe you just ran out of co2? How old was the tank? When you get your new tank put soapy water on all connections. If there is a leak you will see bubbles.

:mug:

-Nick

90% of all my leaks are from the relief valve. In fact, I have one now on a Belgian Pale!

I seriously hate those relief valves, and plan on swapping them all out soon.

relief valves are where mine leak.

If you can disassemble them and throw some keglube on the rubber part it will help.

remember keg lub is silicone, and food safe.
vaseline is petroleum jelly, and I don't htink its food safe.

it also eats rubber...so if your o-rings are made of rubber, the vaseline will slowly dissolve them.

Latest posts

Back