Co2 in fridge or outside fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKHomebrew

Reaction score
Guys,

I had a keg system in a fridge in the garage for years but retired it years ago and I have just pulled it out of storage and I am ready to keg my first batch, I have a small question,

Before I had the tank and regulator outside the fridge but I was wondering if I could put the tank and reg inside the fridge and if it would make any differance or not being cold

It won't matter. The high-side gauge will read low due to the pressure in the tank being lower due to the cold, and if you adjust the regulator it may take a moment from the bladder inside being less pliable at fridge temps, but other than that it's not an issue.

the only thing I don't like is if its steel the tank tends to rust at the base and leaves a ring in the fridge. I now have an aluminum tank and will just get it refilled instead of exchanged. When i do a proper kegerator I will have it outside 20# tank takes up a lot of room

I have both setups in one fridge. I keep a CO2 tank in the fridge, but I ran a line through the drain hole for a beer gas tank outside the fridge for when I'm using a stout tap.

Having the CO2 tank and regulator in the fridge works fine, but I'll be moving mine to the outside when I get a chance. A tank and associated regulators/hoses takes up quite a bit of room. Routing the CO 2 in from the side and having all of the disconnects above the kegs as opposed to what I have now will probably make it easier for me to fit 4 kegs in the kegerator.

And just a little safety reminder...your gas cylinder really should be tethered/harnessed/secured to something stable. If the cylinder valve were to somehow break off that thing will become a missile. Don't try to get away with not securing your cylinder...just do it...every time.

Guys,

Thanks so much for the input, I have it in the fridge and will be force carbing today, can't wait to see how this works out.

Thanks again

Hmm... I thought that there was a good reason to keep the tank in the fridge. If not, I'll be looking to move mine outside soon. It looks a mess in there with the extra tank.

Back