CO2 exchange program - eastern MA ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGrylls

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am putting together a home kegging system and am wondering if anyone happens to have info on a CO2 tank exchange program in the eastern MA area? I haven't bought a tank just yet. All I can seem to find is new ones, and all signs point to that being a waste as they will just swap it for a crappy one immediately anyway. Thanks!

Dustin

How far are you from Canton MA or Warwick RI? I'm in RI and use these guys for exchanges: http://www.praxairdirect.com/AjaxStoreLocatorDisplayView

Praxair took over ABCO or at least several of their locations in the last year or two. There may still be branches in Mass still operating as ABCO.

Corp Brothers Industrial Gases in Cranston RI does direct CO2 fills if you want to buy and keep a new tank. There are surely other similar companies in eastern Mass/Southern New England.

That's a pretty good trek from me, I'm on the North shore, but you're right, I imagine there are others. Someone in another thread suggested either AirGas company, or a store that specializes in fire safety equipment. They're not the type of businesses that put much stock in their websites, so info is sparse until I talk to someone. Hopefully someone comes along here and drops a gem. Either that or I spend some good quality afternoon on the phone.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'll check it out.

I get mine swapped at AirGas in Dracut. They sold me a full tank for a reasonable price and then do swaps. IIRC it was around $100 for a 10lb tank and swaps were around $15. It's been a while though as I've been inactive with brewing the past few years.

thanks I just called them, their price went up to $22 / 5lb per swap. The tank price itself is $95 which is a little high but workable. They say they have multiple grades of CO2 and the one I'd be getting is "food grade" which means less tolerance for benzene and traces of lubricants I guess.

The LHBS in woburn suggested Arco (I think in malden) which gets $18 / 5lb for a fill (not swap). So that seems good if someone is going with a new tank. That's mainly a welding supply so I'm not sure if the CO2 is as tasty.

There's also Middlesex Gas Supply in Lowell but I wasn't able to get in touch with them. Word has it they do swaps as well.

Back