CO2 Cylinder Project?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Anyone know of any use for a old 50# CO2 cylinder. It was an old cylinder out of a restaurant that went out of business about 10 years ago, it's expired and mostly like was leased at one point in time. I can't get it filled so I figured I would ask to see if there were any uses for it.

Any thoughts??

It will be hydrostated and refilled if it passes. Is it in good shape? If it is, as BF said, it can be exchanged. :D

:mug:

I tried to swap it but since I don't have the original account holders info I can't do anything with it. The local shops say it was probably leased at one time unless I can prove otherwise they won't fill it or swap it. I checked with the supppier of the cylinder and they have no way of looking it up and still wont help me swap it. Im stuck.

I've heard that JB Weld is a wonderful thing for any unsightly markings and that if you clean up old tanks and give it a nice coat of primer and paint that you'll have a better chance of place being willing to hydro test/exchange even if out of date on the hydro.

I also hear the fire extingusher place suggestion is the way to go.

Just saying...

The local shops say it was probably leased at one time unless I can prove otherwise they won't fill it or swap it.

all you have to say is that you bought it from a private seller. unless they can prove that its on a lease (by serial number or something), or unless it has a big sticker saying "xxx's property" on it, theres no reason to assume its not yours.

its kind of rediculous to force someone to prove that their property doesnt belong to anyone else.

Try another gas retailer. I just exchanged a 20# cylinder with the handle broken off, 'property of pepsi' stamped on the side, and a hydro date from 1990. They took my $19.00, took the tank, and gave me a full one.

I've been in the welding/gas business for 20 yrs. The issue is as I recall that the cylinder is property of the "company" noted on the neck ring in raised letter or the company that has purchased the property (cylinders) of said de-funked company.

The potential problem is with the DOT, if another distributor is found to have cylinders not belonging to them in their possession namely on their truck there are some pretty hefty fines.

It is similar to the keg issue many of us encounter, the keg is property of the brewery stamped on the handle. Unfortunately you can't cut the top of the cylinder off and make a brewpot.

I've been in the welding/gas business for 20 yrs. The issue is as I recall that the cylinder is property of the "company" noted on the neck ring in raised letter or the company that has purchased the property (cylinders) of said de-funked company.

The potential problem is with the DOT, if another distributor is found to have cylinders not belonging to them in their possession namely on their truck there are some pretty hefty fines.

It is similar to the keg issue many of us encounter, the keg is property of the brewery stamped on the handle. Unfortunately you can't cut the top of the cylinder off and make a brewpot.

You are correct sir... this is my problem. I have exchanged and filled plenty of 20# tanks without issue. The problem comes in when you deal with the large 50# or larger the tank my be registered through the DOT. Also, this is used as an anti-theft process.

So, basically I'm up a river with out a paddle. No luck?!?!

Still open for ideas.

You are correct sir... this is my problem. I have exchanged and filled plenty of 20# tanks without issue. The problem comes in when you deal with the large 50# or larger the tank my be registered through the DOT. Also, this is used as an anti-theft process.

So, basically I'm up a river with out a paddle. No luck?!?!

Still open for ideas.

Well.... IMHO I would suggest you return it to it's owner.

Latest posts

Back