CO2 cylinder outside keezer without a collar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I about to move into kegging and all I need is my CO2 cylinder. The problem is I might only be able to get large ones that will be too big to fit inside the freezer. Ultimately I plan on building a collar for my freezer so keeping the cylinder outside won't be a problem but in the meantime is there a way to keep the cylinder outside the freezer and the keg inside (opening the freezer and using picnic taps when I need a beer)?

Getting a smaller cylinder may not be an option. I live in the Caribbean and the choices are:

5lb tank shipped from the USA - will take weeks and costs >$200
10lb "Nitrogen" tank locally ~$320
50lb CO2 locally ~$120 (and about $20 per fill!!)

Drill a hole in the side of the freezer and run your gas line through it. Then use silicone or some kind of sealant around the hose to keep cold air inside.

Make sure you don't drill thru where the coils for the freezer are. If its a chest freezer they are often in the sides.

If your freezer has a drain, run your hose for the co2 through there.. Don't drill, coils are easy to hit!

I know a few people that just gas up their kegs when they dispense them also. It works fine...
Just a thought in case you are against drilling through the freezer...

Thanks all. I really want to avoid drilling into the freezer because ultimately I want to build a collar (and by ultimately I mean in the next few months) and then I'll run the gas line through that. As I won't be brewing until this weekend or next I have a few weeks while it ferments to sort things out, maybe I'll need to make the collar sooner rather than later. I had wanted whether I could pump some CO2 in every few pints and leave it unconnected the rest of the time. Any thoughts on this approach?

You can do that if you don't mind repeatedly hooking up the gas. I'd start off with 30 psi, wait a day or so, then 20 psi, wait, then start hitting it with serving pressure, say 10-12 lbs periodically until you get it carbed. Then hit it with serving pressure every pint or two. If you're going to do that, it's be useful to have a pressure gauge (say 0 to 30 psi) hooked up to a gas disconnect to see where you are at any point. You could leave the gauge attached if you're sure it doesn't leak, or just attach it for spot checks.

I second the drain idea! Put the whole chest freezer up on 2x4's or concrete blocks and run the CO2 through the drain hole. No drilling and fully functional.

I second the drain idea! Put the whole chest freezer up on 2x4's or concrete blocks and run the CO2 through the drain hole. No drilling and fully functional.

Worth investigating, but if the drain comes out the front or side it may have a sharp right-angle bend and he may not be able to thread the gas line through the drain tube.

Or drill an angled hole through the back edge of the lid. 1/4" will do it. Run a short piece of copper tubing through and hook up a hose on either side. Easy to plug and not visible once you've finished.

Yep. Drain hole at front and very sharp right angle (even sharper with the remnants of the last bottle bomb stuck in it!). May try the connect and disconnect option if I don't get collar built in time. Also have my fingers crossed that I maybe able to get a small tank locally (going to do the rounds at some point in the next couple of weeks).

How about carefully cutting a small section of the gasket out wide enough for co2 line. You could save the piece and glue it back in when u get your collar.

Latest posts

Back