co2 corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have purchased corny kegs and filled them with my beer. At that time I did not have co2 so I use the sugar that came with it. it has been sitting in my basement closet and is carbonated. I can tell by the press release fo valve. Do I still need to use the CO 2 tank to carbonate?

If its just sitting at room temp no, for serving purposes it should be hooked up to serving pressure

When you add sugar to a sealed corny, it's really just a big bottle. You can condition & carb @ room temp. in a corny with priming sugar just like bottle priming.

I know some people who actually prime their kegs to save on CO2, but I figure you'll need a CO2 tank eventually if you want to serve the beer and it's much easier to set and forget.

Will I need to force carbonate it as well when a hook up the co2 or did the priming sugar take care of that? What pressure should I set at? It is a dark stout.

No, as long as you used enough priming sugar and let it sit at room temp for 2 weeks, I would set it at 8 psi

Back