CO 2 Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontiercdk

Reaction score
Has any body ever had an infections issue with co2 bottles or regulator or supply lines? I make a good beer. I clean and anitize everything, rack to serving keg, perge air, chill to around 32, force carb and all is good! But 30-45 days later my beers develope a strange taste. I cant describe the taste, but it is bad. This happens consistently. The beer is delicious at first but quickly turns nastey. I have had beer back up into my supply lines. When that happens i remove the liness brush them out and sanitize em. Could I be getting an infection from the regulator or bottle itself? Could my co2 supplier be using tainted co2? any ideas would be greatly apriciated. I am tired of making good beer and then pouring it out!!!

The CO2 itself is probably fine, but if you have had beer back up into your gas lines, it could have made it to the regulator as well, contaminating subsequent batches. I would replace the regulator and probably [ame="http://youtu.be/RFmFbAWLmrY"]dismantle the keg posts[/ame] and poppets for a good cleaning.

I do not have a good pallet. I will take another taste tonight and attempt to describe it. And I am on my way to my lhbs to get a new regulator.

Can an infection live/develope in [ure co2?

Can an infection live/develope in [ure co2?

All bacteria require CO2 for growth, but very few can grow at such a high concentration of CO2, and it would be very unlikely they could spoil your beer. So like I mentioned, the contamination is likely not from the gas itself. Some beer residue inside your regulator is a great place for bacteria to grow though.

Ok,

I asked a friend to give it a taste. He said it tasted oxidized or stale. Like a beer that had been outside in the sun on a hot summer day then cooled. I cant figure out how oxigen could get in there. I ferment in a sanki,use co2 to push from the fermenter through a .5 micron filter into the serving kegs. I purge my lines and filter. I purge my serving kegs. I dont know how I would have got air in there. I purchased a new regulator and sanitized my lines.

ooops, looking through my old threads and realized I hadn't finished this post. After I bought the new regulator all was good. I guess there WAS something in it. or maybe a coincidence.

ooops, looking through my old threads and realized I hadn't finished this post. After I bought the new regulator all was good. I guess there WAS something in it. or maybe a coincidence.

Thanks for following up on this.. I know it's old, but have you considered putting check-valves in your co2 distribution or at least on the outlets of your regulator(s) to prevent back-flow from fouling your regs/lines in the future?

Yes,

The ball valves I use originally had check valves. I cant remember why I removed them, but I did. Probably should install some. Thanks for reminding me, I had forgot all about that!

After having a backflow or 2, despite check valves, I switched from using red CO2 lines to clear vinyl tubing just so that I could see what was going on.

Have you looked for a rebuild kit for that regulator? It can really be handy to have more than one, to be able to carbonate or serve different beers at different pressures.

Well...
No
But that sounds like a good idea. I wonder if I could disassemble it clean and sanitize then reassemble it.

Yes, you can..........They put it together, so you can take it apart.

Back off on the adjustment screw all the way, ( don't remove), then unscrew the "bonnet" off the regulator.........Slowly, and make note of the "stackup" of the parts, and re-assemble in the same order.

On the gauges, be aware one of them "should" be backwards, ( left hand) threads, so look closely before ya' go wrenchin' on them.

Some regulators have "left hand " or "L/H" embossed on the back of the body.

Very good

I plan on giving a whirl! Even if i cant get it back together i want to see how nasty it was inside.

For posterity, I just got a new 4 ways manifold and I was shocked at how much oil, grease and metal shavings were inside. So, my recommendation would be to clean those manifolds really well before use, as I could clearly see an off flavor occurring from those materials.

Update,

I dissembled the regulator and put the body and all non-melting parts in the oven. I cant remember what temp or how long. The rest of the parts I soaked in sanitizer. Reassembled and have used it without incident since!

Latest posts

Back