Cloudy yesterday, clear today - why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I have a batch of Belgian Ale that I brewed about 3 months ago that is confusing me a bit. I don't have a keg set up so all my beer is bottled. I have kept the bottles under my bar where it is about 68° and I put about a 6 pack at a time into the fridge. I was noticing what I thought was chill haze in my beer - when I looked at a warm bottle it seems almost crystal clear but after refrigeration, it is cloudy.

Yesterday I opened a 1L PET bottle and only drank about half of it - it was a bit clouded as they all have been. The rest went back in the fridge with the cap on. Today when I opened that bottle and poured it into a glass it was crystal clear. What The Fark??? Why would I see that result?

yeast moves in mysterious ways. that is strange though that you say it was a chill haze because it's my understanding that chill haze is a result of proteins, not anything to do with yeast. yeast is going to be easier to mess with by altering the temperature rapidly. i agree though that it's very strange.

LarryC said:
I have a batch of Belgian Ale that I brewed about 3 months ago that is confusing me a bit. I don't have a keg set up so all my beer is bottled. I have kept the bottles under my bar where it is about 68° and I put about a 6 pack at a time into the fridge. I was noticing what I thought was chill haze in my beer - when I looked at a warm bottle it seems almost crystal clear but after refrigeration, it is cloudy.

Yesterday I opened a 1L PET bottle and only drank about half of it - it was a bit clouded as they all have been. The rest went back in the fridge with the cap on. Today when I opened that bottle and poured it into a glass it was crystal clear. What The Fark??? Why would I see that result?

it
just goes to show that the presence of the yeast and sugar can affect the beers clouduness. it seems like the yeast needed a littke more time to eat up the rest of the malt sugara that it could, thuse making all the protiens unbindable to clearity.

Back