Cloudy starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostspring

Reaction score
I've tried searching but I guess I haven't been able to list my question correctly.
I made a batch,2 1/2gal, of starsan. I used cold tap water. When I added the starsan,1/2 oz, The mixture turned cloudy. Any problems with this.
Obviously I am a noob so please be gentle.

Your StarSan is fine. You can always check the pH is you are worried it is not working properly. The pH should be below 3, if I remember correctly.

Ed

Mine goes cloudy right away with my wonderful (not) Omaha water. I keep a $3 jar of pH test strips around so I know if it's still good to use.

With our well water, Star San will go milky almost immediately...and the minerals in our water WILL compromise the Star San. I use grocery store RO water to mix the Star San, and check with test strips. Star San is so great in its ability to cover surfaces by just spraying, and working on contact for only 30 seconds or so, that I'm able to mix up only a gallon of solution, and use that three or four times before the pH rises <3. pH test strips are cheap, and the ONLY way to be sure that Star San is effective.

not to hijack this thread, but can I ask real quick if this is fraught with problems:

Say I take a dirty primary covered in dried krausen, and soak with oxyclean. Once all the particles are gone, dump and rinse with water, then a vinegar solution to get rid of the salts left by the oxyclean, then rinse again.

Then I sanitize with sani-clean or starsan, dump, and cover the carboy with plastic wrap and throw it in the closet? Can I assume that thing will be totally sanitized in like 2 weeks when I take it out to use it? I can just take off the wrap and pour in the wort?

not to hijack this thread, but can I ask real quick if this is fraught with problems:

Say I take a dirty primary covered in dried krausen, and soak with oxyclean. Once all the particles are gone, dump and rinse with water, then a vinegar solution to get rid of the salts left by the oxyclean, then rinse again.

Then I sanitize with sani-clean or starsan, dump, and cover the carboy with plastic wrap and throw it in the closet? Can I assume that thing will be totally sanitized in like 2 weeks when I take it out to use it? I can just take off the wrap and pour in the wort?

Personally i would sanatize it with the starsan again. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'd sanitize it again too. Even if there was zero risk of contamination with the saran wrap over the hole, you're going to have to take the saran wrap off to pour in the wort. And if the inside of the fermenter isn't covered with Starsan, you might have some unwelcomed guests.

I do something similar. I clean and then sanitize the carboy. I leave about 1-2 cups of sanitizer in the carboy and put a solid stopper in it. Then right before I use it I'll swirl the sanitizer around inside the carboy to re-coat all the surfaces. Then I dump it out and pump into the carboy.

Personally, I wouldn't sanitize before throwing it in the closet, just clean it. I only sanitize right before using and I would never assume it was still sanitary unless it was still wet with Starsan that is known to be still effective.

+1 on what "ajwillys" says. There's no point in sanitizing once and putting the equipment away, counting on it to be sanitary after a span of time. I clean and put the equipment away, then sanitize just before use. I've still only santitized once.

Back