Cloudy Cider ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAVEL3

Reaction score
Hi folks

I have 5 gal. of cider that has been bulk ageing for 8 months. I just recently added some camden tabs and sorbate and let it sit for a couple of days, then I backsweetened with fresh apple cider that i froze and drained the concentrated juice.

It was crystal clear before i added the juice to it, but now it has clouded up and there is some sediment on the bottom....I am guessing it is from the pectin in the apple juice that made it cloud up...will this clear over time?..Would like to bottle for xmas.

Would the same thing happen if i had used AJC?
OSG. 1.075
FG. 1.000
Stored in basement @ 60degs.

Thanks!
Dave

I cold crash all of my beverages before bottling time at approx 35f for 2-3 days. Clears up any hazy material that may be there. Try that if you can

What was the SG before you added the concentrate? What was the gravity after you added the concentrate? What is the gravity today? I ask because the lees and the haze may be the result of the cider fermenting the added sugars.

Get some of this stuff...works wonders for cider.

KC SUPER KLEER.jpg

What was the SG before you added the concentrate? What was the gravity after you added the concentrate? What is the gravity today? I ask because the lees and the haze may be the result of the cider fermenting the added sugars.

I had a .990 before concentrate..1.000 after and I did not check it today.
I have it topped up to a couple inches below the bung/airlock,so I assume that I would get some bubbling if it was fermenting again...I haven't seen any activity in the airlock.

Thanks for the replies!

Latest posts

Back