Cloudy as hell!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlaps

Reaction score
I have a problem with my Du monde clone. When I drained into my fermenter the wort seperated and was clear, orange gold slight corriander and hops aroma. The problem happened after primary fermentation. When I racked to the secondary the beer is really cloudy. No sign of infection no off odors nothing floating on top of beer. I'm hoping this clears up by bottling time but if not what could I do to clear it up? Thanks in advance.

Lenny

Secondary: Fin du monde clone

Botteld : Mild brown APA

Next time just leave it in the primary for a month then bottle it. If you insist on the secondary, leave it there for several weeks until it clears up on its own.....then it will be ready to bottle (yeast have their own schedule and normally do not subscribe to the 1-2-3 rule). ;)

I think it safe to assume that you've got lots of yeast still in solution. What yeast did you use?

This beer was in the primary for a week. I'm leaving it in the secondary another two weeks. I used WLP500 trappist. Thanks all for the info, I know this is suposed to be a bit cloudy but right now it's almost muddy. I'll repost when I bottle.

Lenny

yeah after only a week its pretty normal for it to still be real cloudy. let us know how it all turns out!

Maybe try cold crashing before you bottle? I do it and I've had some great results. Besides it is nice to have cold beer leftovers from the bottling to drink rather than room temp.

if you have a fridge that will fit you're fermenter you just stick the whole thing in. (i usually do it for a couple of days). the cold causes a lot of the crap to sink to the bottom.

Thanks for the description. If I don't have a frig that big, what do you think of a swamp cooler type of arrangement with lots of icewater? Secondly, what does cold crashing do re: saving the yeast for reuse?

1. To the OP: wait and see how cloudy it is after three more weeks.

2. Cold-crashing should be fine for washing the yeast - they go dormant at low temps.

For secondaires I use 5 gallon water jugs. They are cube like and fit great in my kids leftover minifridge from college. I usually cold crash 3 days before bottling. The results have been commercial clarity in my beers. The beers still carb up nicely as there is enough microscopic yeasties in there to do their work. I just add a week extra bottling conditioning time. So far, pretty good brews.

I know for many home brewers clarity doesn't matter and I know the stuff that settles won't hurt, but I do share my beers with people who have never had a home brew and anything I can do to make that glass of cold beer look it's best, I'm all for. I have started to get more people interested in making their own because what I am handing them tastes good, smells good and looks good.

To all happy holidays, I'm happy to report all of your advice worked. Extra secondary cleared this up nicely. I bottled Friday and am waiting for Christmas day to enjoy!! A small sample from the bottling bucket promises a fantastic brew.

Lenny

Cool it down and add some finings.

Also... yeast won't flocculate in an absence of calcium. Take a sample and add some calcium and it'll clear out really quickly (I'd only do this as an experiment, unless you're water is deficient of calcium and you can measure out an amount to get it into suitable spec)

Latest posts

Back