Closed transfer Kegging with 1/2 inch hose to corny ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexholsch

Reaction score
Hey guys, so im trying to do a closed pressurized transfer from mi uni-tank to my Cornelius ball lock keg. This is the first time I try this, the problem is that my brewery hoses are 1/2 inch and my tri clamp to barb fitting that connects my hose to the tanks dump butterfly valve is also 1/2 inch and the corny ball lock adapter barb is wayyyyy smaller. This makes it so I cannot connect my 1/2 hose to my corny keg, im thinking there is probably double male barbed fittings that can connect a 1/2 inch hose to a smaller hose. The other option I've thought about is buying a TC to barb fitting that is the same size as the corny ball lock conector fitting. Anyhow in both of these solutions I end up transferring thru a tiny diameter hose which will take longer than thru my 1/2 inch hoses. Don't know if any of this makes sense.

There are 1-1/2" TC to MFL fittings out there (Brewers Hardware) as well as 1-1/2" TC to corny post base fittings (same). I have a couple of those that I put liquid ball lock posts on for transferring out of conical. I send the beer to a keg first, then to the Tapcooler to fill up cans. Works really well AND you can use existing beer lines (with beer nuts fitted on them) easily.

What size is the barb?

I had this issue with a long beer run (50' to garage) and 3/8" ID beer line but a 1/4" barb on my shank. I cut a 1" long piece of 1/4" ID line to fit over the barb, and the 3/8" ID hose fit perfectly over the 1/4" hose, secured with a hose clamp.

1/4" line should have an OD of 3/8", and 3/8" line should have an OD of 7/16" or 1/2".

I used one of the 1-1/2" TC to corny keg post fittings, with the liquid post on it, to package a batch from my CF10 yesterday. Works great and having the keg post means when you remove the line, you won't have leaks (barring user error).

One thing I do is put the only picnic tap setup I have on the fitting once connected, to remove any air from the set before I then put the jumper to my cleaned/sanitized/purged keg. Fill that up then switch over to the Tapcooler to fill up cans.

I'm using 3/16" beer line for filling the keg and cans.

Back