Closed Transfer Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My homebrewing hobby has been a journey of incremental change, I choose relatively small changes that I hope will be enhancements and kind of pile them on top of each other over time. Sometimes this involves a process or change in my thinking or approach, sometimes its different equipment or ingredients. In this case, UPS delivered a box from @Bobby_M 's company, Brew Hardware, with the closed transfer equipment I ordered, to do transfers from carboys to ball lock kegs, without introducing more oxygen. Just in time to rack my Foreign Export Stout from its fermenter tomorrow.

1612966909696.png

I ferment my ales in carboys and will use this. Lagers, though, I ferment in buckets because of the geometry of the lager fermentation fridges we have at the CHAOS brewhouse. I may need to double check, one of the fridges might fit a carboy (the issue is height, these are low commercial fridges, the kind that are often under a bar, and one of them I know won't fit a carboy with an airlock on top). I suppose I could hook up a cut off piece of racking cane and a small tube to a blowoff container, I always use big 1" blowoff tubes on my ales, but never on the lagers, because the fermentation isn't that explosive. But that might allow me to fit a carboy in the lager fridge then.

In any case, looking forward sticking my big toe into the world of closed transfers!

I built a kit similar to the photo. The Carboy cap did not have enough resistance to stay on once I charged the Co2 line - and I was only @ about 2lbs of pressure, I did not have a large clamp to put on the carboy cap, so it required me to hold it down for the transfer, All and all it worked well, once I worked out the kinks - looks like I will need a large hose clamp to hold the orange carboy top on the carboy. Thanks for shareing. With the parts I already had around the house, aad a total of ~ $10 into the whole set up.

I've used that or something similar. As Shady says it tends to pop off at very small pressures. I have one carboy it will stay on just fine and another that I have to hold on to during the transfer.

Back