Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingAroundtheRrealm

Reaction score
This past Saturday I took a try at brewing a clone of Blizzard of Hops from Troegs Brewing in Hershey, Pa. This is my first attempt at cloning a commercial beer. I used the grains and hops listed on their website to build my recipe. I ordered the hops from Yakima Valley Hops. My LHBS was out of Galaxy. End up swapping out Galaxy for Ella.

Here is the recipe I came up with: http://brewgr.com/recipe/46926/north-of-the-wall-ipa-american-ipa-recipe

I think I have my White Wheat/Unmalted Wheat amounts reversed from what they should be.

Here is the video of the recipe:

Feedback is welcome!

I'll post a tasting review once it's ready in a few weeks.

North of the Wall IPA - American IPA
4_d.jpg

by BrewingAroundtheRealm on 11/13/2017

Fermentables
% lb fermentable ppg L usage
15% 2 Unmalted Wheat - BE 35 2° Mash
22% 3 White Wheat - US 40 2° Mash
44% 6 Pilsner - US 34 1° Mash
19% 2.5 Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen - US 42 2° Extract

Hops
oz variety type usage time AA IBU
1 Centennial Pellet First Wort 90 minutes 10.5 33.7
1 Chinook Pellet Boil 30 minutes 13.0 30.0
1 El Dorado Pellet Boil 15 minutes 16.0 23.8
1 Chinook Pellet Dry Hop 5 days 13.0 0.0
1 Galaxy Pellet Dry Hop 5 days 14.2 0.0

Yeast
name attenuation
Fermentis Safale US-05 75%

Other Stuff
No Other Stuff in this Recipe
Mash Steps
type heat temp °F time
Saccharification Rest Decoction 154 90 minutes

Special Instructions
This recipe does not have any special instructions.

Batch Size 5.50 Gallons
Boil Size 5.50 Gallons @ 90 min
OG 1.066
FG 1.016
Color 3.8° SRM
Efficiency 65%
Bitterness 87.5 IBU (tinseth)
BG:GU 1.33
Alcohol 6.4% ABV
Calories 223 per 12oz

Thank you so much for the quick response! I saw you couldn't get galaxy so you used Ella, did you use only 1 oz? I thought it would have more hops in it but I'll try it. I cant get galaxy either so I was thinking maybe citra or Amarillo. I tried to clone nugget nectar once but it wasn't that close, still a good hoppy amber ale but not nugget nectar. Thanks again :mug:

Thank you so much for the quick response! I saw you couldn't get galaxy so you used Ella, did you use only 1 oz? I thought it would have more hops in it but I'll try it. I cant get galaxy either so I was thinking maybe citra or Amarillo. I tried to clone nugget nectar once but it wasn't that close, still a good hoppy amber ale but not nugget nectar. Thanks again :mug:
I swapped the Ella for Galaxy equally. I was only a few months in to brewing at that point. My calculations may not have been perfect. This is on my list for an all grain rebrew later this spring.

It's funny you mention Nugget Nectar. I spent the last few months researching a clone which I just brewed this past weekend. It took me quite a while to put all of the pieces together. Look for that episode coming soon.

Last edited:
North of the wall IPA...love the name!

Thanks! I spent a lot of time trying to come up with Game of Thrones themed names for my brews at the start. It really confused people and It was better for me to just use the style in titles. I keep the names to myself and still use them internally.

Last edited:
Will you be posting you nugget nectar video in a thread? If so let me know! My next brew will be your north of the wall IPA but I'll be doing all grain. I'll let you know how it goes but I might be a couple weeks till I brew again.

Will you be posting you nugget nectar video in a thread? If so let me know! My next brew will be your north of the wall IPA but I'll be doing all grain. I'll let you know how it goes but I might be a couple weeks till I brew again.

Yes, that will be up on a new thread. Probably in 2 to 3 weeks. That is going in to the keg on Sunday. Probably needs a week or two to condition after that. I'll try to post a link back here once I get that up.

I brewed this today with some changes to the grains and use a tad more hops. Thanks for the recipe and I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it came out.

Back