Cloning New England Brewing Company's Gandhi-bot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow this is so good. Definitely dangerous having it on tap!

1390173119752.jpg

I was reading the GB description and noticed they say they use 3 different hops. Any ideas on what the third is? Drinking my second glass of the day right now. So. Damn. Good.

I think we went over this before. IIRC, there is probably another hop used to bitter.

Sorry, I know this is a little off topic but I know this is the crew to ask and my searches are coming back with a bunch of incidental hits.

Coriolis. Has anyone cloned it, gotten close, or have a suggestion for a jumping off point? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sorry, I know this is a little off topic but I know this is the crew to ask and my searches are coming back with a bunch of incidental hits.

Coriolis. Has anyone cloned it, gotten close, or have a suggestion for a jumping off point? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I don't believe so. NEBCO should be releasing Coriolis again in the next few weeks. It's a single-hop IPA.

I don't believe so. NEBCO should be releasing Coriolis again in the next few weeks. It's a single-hop IPA.

I just had some and it got me thinking... (BTW they said it would be on tap fri/sat maybe still some left?)

It finishes pretty dry but I don't think the color is right for a Pilsner - Nelson sauvin smash. IIRC there was talk about 1056 or 1098 being the likely strain for G-Bot?
Also, I get very low bitterness (or at least harsh bitterness) so obviously a huge portion of hop additions are very late or post flameout.

This all sound on target?

I just had some and it got me thinking... (BTW they said it would be on tap fri/sat maybe still some left?)

It finishes pretty dry but I don't think the color is right for a Pilsner - Nelson sauvin smash. IIRC there was talk about 1056 or 1098 being the likely strain for G-Bot?
Also, I get very low bitterness (or at least harsh bitterness) so obviously a huge portion of hop additions are very late or post flameout.

This all sound on target?

Not sure about the yeast strain. Nuke has already tried a few different strains for his Gandhi clones. He'd be able to give you better information.

You are correct in that most of the hop additions are late. We've been able to confirm this.

For anyone looking for additional information on NEBCO's beers: http://www.ctmuseumquest.com/?page_id=18671

Just read this thread start to finish - great work documenting the brews guys. I'll be getting into all grain this summer and will try to clone this guy with the recipes provided. As a Connecticut native, I feel it's a requirement to love this brew. Nuke or Remmy, any thoughts on the final hopping procedure or yeast strain to use? I've been using Wyeast and would like to stick with their smack packs, but will branch out if need be. I've brewed AG with my buddy and we've done IPAs in the past, I always feel that dry-hopping can be a bit unpredictable and am more of a fan of flame out additions and steeps.

Haven't made it to NEBCo since the they've moved but will likely swing by on a weekday after work. I had their Gold Stock last year for the first time and was blown away by it... their canned brews are great, but all of their growler only brews are unreal. Thanks for your thoughts!

The aroma on mine was really, really close to real Gandhi. I'd say spot-on. The flavor wasn't partly due to the fact that I fermented with Conan. Nuke would be able to give you a better idea on what strain to use. I haven't experimented very much.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I had some fresh GB this weekend. If I were to brew this again, I would increase the Simcoe additions a bunch. I'd also not use Conan. As we discussed, the Conan produces a great IIPA. It just doesn't match GB character.

That said, I'm not brewing this again anytime soon. Far too dangerous to have this on tap. I might do a smaller batch.

I'm brewing a very similar brew today. Except I'm using Wyeast 1098 from a previous beer I brewed.

Big fan of that yeast.

I did a Columbus / simcoe/ Chinook beer that I kegged yesterday that smells a lot like Ghandi.

That sounds really good. I am making mine with 9 oz. total of Columbus and Simcoe. Not intended to be a Gandhi clone, but will certainly smell very similar to it.

Let's do it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ok.

I've been able to confirm Gandhi is indeed made up of Pilsner Malt, Caramunich and fermented with White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast.

Have been reading through this post for a few days and really wanna give it a go. Other than maybe trying wlp007 and pilsner malt, where do we stand on the best guess for hop additions. You seemed to like 1.0 better. Were the hop additions much different?

Can't speak for Nuke's v1.0. But my clone smelled pretty spot-on with the hop additions and schedule I put together.

If I were to brew this again, I would definitely change my yeast. Just not sure of the ratio of pils to caramunich. You can enter it into your brewing app to get 8.8% ABV.

I don't recall exactly what it was but it's something like 14 lbs of pils and 1lb caramunich. I'll check tomorrow when I have some time and I'm on my computer.

Can't speak for Nuke's v1.0. But my clone smelled pretty spot-on with the hop additions and schedule I put together.

If I were to brew this again, I would definitely change my yeast. Just not sure of the ratio of pils to caramunich. You can enter it into your brewing app to get 8.8% ABV.

I don't recall exactly what it was but it's something like 14 lbs of pils and 1lb caramunich. I'll check tomorrow when I have some time and I'm on my computer.

Who told you it was caramunich? When I asked I was told Crystal 40 was the only thing besides the pilsner (or two row) and corn sugar.

Glad I found this thread! I always seem to be too late when it comes to finding 'bot. But a few weeks ago I was buying some beer at CT Bev Mart and happen to notice a 4-pk of Ghandi-bot at the counter! The cashier told me only one 4-pk per person but they "just got a ton of it in." I bought my 4, then the wife and I went back a couple days later and I got two more 4's. My wife went in after me and the cashier told her, "This stuff is popular. I just sold some to a guy a minute ago!" LOL

Anyway, I plan on brewing this in a few weeks. I'm vacationing with my extended family in NC this July and since my brother, step-father and I are all homebrewers we're each brewing something for the trip. I can't wait to make this beer. It's so smooth and tasty.

i brewed this in a ten gallon batch using the recipe on the first page. i split the batch between wyeast 1056 and wlp001 both fermented at 67 ramping up to 70. the wlp001 finished much drier than the 1056. the 1056 batch got dry hopped with all simcoe and the wlp001 got dry hopped with a blend of simcoe and columbus. they both came out very good but everyone seemed to enjoy the 1056 much better. the 1056 didn't' taste exactly like gandhi-bot though and we definitely have tried our fair share.

I think this is going to be one of my next beers - ghandi has been one of my wants for a while and the hop schedule looks right up my alley. Will scale down to 3 gal though so i can biab on my current pot.

I've been brewing Remmy's extract recipe and am currently cold crashing before I keg it.

So I stopped by the brewery yesterday to get a few fresh growlers to compare against, but they ran out before 11:30. I asked Craig about the hops and he confirmed it's only 2, but couldn't remember the exact ones. A few minutes later Rob came in, so I asked him some questions. I told him I was trying to brew a clone and I used Simcoe and Columbus and he said that was right and that there were only those two. I then said I was dry hopping-1oz of each for 4 days, then 1oz of each again for 4 days. He said for a 5gal batch, that's just about right.

My OG was 1.076 and my sample Fri night was 1.019. I'm attributing that to me not making a starter for the smack pack.

I wasn't going to brew this again right away, but I may have also got some jars of something right off the fermentor yesterday that I was told I could pitch right in and it'd go crazy.

I'll post results/pics of this batch later this week.

I purchased a ghandi bot clone from maltose out of Monroe ct. It taste great, a little pricey for the extract kit. It definitely tasted on point. I would love to know how this one turns out.

Yeah those guys don't tell you the amounts of due and dextrose. They also mixed them so I could not weigh them. It sure does taste real close. I do believe they originally New England were saying that there was 3 hop additions.

It's not quite ready and not fully carbed yet, but it looks damn fine.

The left is a real one my wife had waiting for me after my run. The one on the right is the clone.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403224244.049739.jpg

^^THIS!

I got lucky and scored a 4pk of Gandhi-bot yesterday. The Beer Nazis at the store only allow one per person, even though they "got a ton of it" according to the clerk. I'm going to try to brew this next weekend and hope I can save one for a side-by-side.

Back