Clone beer advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
I put together a clone recipe for Deschutes Red Chair NWPA with the help of the beer guy at the LHBS. I mentioned to him that I would like to tone down the sweetness a little with the clone but essentially keep everything else as close as possible. He suggested this-

10# 2-Row
12 oz 45L
4 oz Toasted

2 oz Cascade- 60 min
1 oz Citra - 10 min
.5 oz Citra - flameout

Safale US-05 dry ale yeast
*anticipating an OG of 1.050-1.060

After looking at other clone versions of this beer online, I noticed quite different grain bills and also very different hop schedules. Can anyone with experience with this clone share their two cents on this recipe? I'd really like to get it as close as possible. Thanks.

Take a look at the website. Deschutes lists the ingredients but not the amounts or times. I believe the website says under the beer description that Deschutes does all the hopping as late additions so you get big flavor and aroma but little bitterness. I could be wrong but the beer is way too smooth with too much hop flavor to have a lot of early additions.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/recipe/red-chair-nwpa-clone

Yeah, that recipe looks a lot different. I'm going to try the recipe as the LHBS guy suggested. It's not like it won't be tasty anyway. Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that Deschutes practically gives away their recipes.

epistrummer said:
Yeah, that recipe looks a lot different. I'm going to try the recipe as the LHBS guy suggested. It's not like it won't be tasty anyway. Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that Deschutes practically gives away their recipes.

Lots of breweries list ingredients and specs (ibus, color, fg, etc) on their website. It's good to always start there. Also, the Brewing Network has a show called "Can You Brew It" that gets recipes for commercial beers and tries to brew up clones. This particular beer has not been done, but lots of others have and there's a ton of good info regarding recipe formulation.

www.TheBrewingNetwork.com

Back